What is FPS!!!

cantona

Daemon Poster
Hi

I am just wondering what FPS is (in context with graphics cards) and how one finds out what theirs is?

Thanx

It stands for Frames Per Second. In games, the figure refers to how many times a scene is generated a second. 30fps is the minimum for smooth gameplay- 40+ is best. To find out fps, you'll need to get the specific console command for that game.

I don't really understand what you mean by command console?

I have Nvidia GeForce 6600Gt if that is any help?

Basically each game depending on the complexity will run at a certain amount of frames per second. You have a Gefroce 6600GT which is a very good card and will run new games at rather high resolutions at a good frame rate, optimum for playing games.

Newer gasmes of course have more complexity and frames per second ist he reason why people get new cards. That and new direct X versions and so on.

The command console can be used to find out in mid game, though it doesn't really matter to be honest if you are a standard gamer. If it is smooth and your noticing no trubles and slow down then you know it is going at least above 30 fps, and so no need to worry.

On the card you have, you'd excpect half life 2 to run at the range of 60-80 fps? maybe even higher on inside scenes for example. Definetly good enough :)

Hope this helps

for CSS go:

options/keyboard/advanced/console

then press "~" to bring up the console then type in "net_graph 1" and wa-la fps and ping and such will show at bottom right hand corner. yes i have a 6600gt and i get around 80fps most of the time with my set-up on CSS. actually 30fps still isnt all that great, neither is 40, for best playing you want 55+ then its as smooth as glass

Yeah. I'm usually happy when it gets to 60 or more. I know then that my card isn't struggling and I didn't make a bad purchase since it hasn't lasted me that long :p

Back
Top Bottom