What brands of SD/MMC you guys use?

The_Other_One

Daemon Poster
I'm just wondering what you guys use for your portable devices(preferably SD/MMC ones, not other forms of media...) Why, because I've had tons of problems with different brands...

For my PDA, I used a 256M SanDisk SD card which was crap. It was slow and wouldn't load pictures some of my others would(I'd just get unable to display image when I tapped it) In my camera, I beleive I got a Lexar. It was just as bad, giving me "Unable to use this card" many times when I'd power my camera up. Of course it would work, but I'd just have to eject the card and reinsert it a few times... And my new MP3 player... Geeze! OK, with the Sandisk, it worked ok, but then started playing about 1 second of a song then shutting off. It worked fine with all my other cards. Turned out to be the battery! I guess Sandisk cards use more juice than others.

So what do you guys use? Got any problems with yours? I have a Panasonic 256M on the way as I had good luck with my old 64M from them..

PDA use a Viking 512MB SD card, digital camera use a SanDisk 512MB SD card again. I never use MMC cards. So far, no problems at all and my PDA's been in use since 2002. I leave it in there all the time and never take it out. I charge them up frequently because I use them a lot.

I actually about got a Viking brand... Just decided on the Panasonic because I had used a 64m before... And really, my Sandisk SD card in my PDA wasn't too bad for normal use, but obviously slower than some of my others and couldn't load those pic as I mentioned. I think that was also a problem with the Axim X5...it just didnt like Sandisks'

As for MMC cards, if you didn't know, they are basically identical to SD cards, compatable and all. Biggest difference is their casing and overall speed.

At a glace, that's all that's obviously different, but there are more differences. The pins are a bit different on a MMC(less pins) They also only really have plastic on the top and then a protective sticker on the bottom. Less plastic makes them a bit smaller. Other than that, they are very similar and usally will work interchangably.

Dad has an MP3 players made for MMC cards, but when he got it, someone had cramed an SD card in it. It took some time to get it out, but it worked fine in there just as an MMC did...

Back
Top Bottom