what is better?

If you have such an old computer, I highly doubt those new PCI-E cards will work in your computer. You should figure out if your motherboard is AGP or PCI-E than look for a graphics card.

Also, please no double posting on this forum, edit your post instead of creating two posts in a row.

bottle neck it?
not the most computer lingo savvy

i have a brand new motherboard that has a 16x pci and it supports my processor:)

I means the rest of your computer won't be as fast as that video card, so it will stop it running at it's maximum potential, thus creating a bottleneck. No double posting.

bottle neck it?
not the most computer lingo savvy

It means that card outperforms the rest of the pieces of hardware in your computer by a lot. So what happens is it can't be used to its full potential, because your processor can only operate at a certain speed/do a certain number of calculations/minute.

Imagine this scenario:

"Your on a 12 lane highway. Traffic moves really fast because their are so many lanes for traffic to flow through. Now imagine somewhere down the road all 12 lanes merge into one lane. Traffic slows down significantly, since all the cars have to merge to fit into that one smaller lane. And all the cars get backed up and must slow down, because the fastest they can go is as fast as the cars in the one lane in front of them, even though there are 12 lanes available to travel in."

To an exaggerated extent, your current computer is like a 1 lane highway. That graphics card is a super-12-lane-highway. Although its great, the rest of your computer isn't good enough to take full advantage of it.

So buying it would essentially be a waste.

Also check if your motherboard is AGP or PCI-E. AGP is older, and found on older motherboards. It is physically a different size then PCI-E. PCI-E is newer, and operates faster. So if you have an AGP motherboard you cannot buy that PCI-E gfx card. Because it will not physically fit.

so the better thing to do is just get a better processor
( i already said that my mobo was a pci-e)

do you know of a processor then in the 50-60 dollar range that will be good with that video card
( i could buy a new mobo that can take the socket)

so the better thing to do is just get a better processor
( i already said that my mobo was a pci-e)

do you know of a processor then in the 50-60 dollar range that will be good with that video card
( i could buy a new mobo that can take the socket)

Find out if you have an amd3000 or the celeron. Because depending on which one it is, only certain processors will fit in your motherboard.

EDIT: Haha the concept of a bottleneck in a computer can seem strange to someone not tech savy. It seems contradictory that a better hardware component might not make your system better.

EDIT EDIT: Well what kind of video card do you currently have. And how much ram do you currently have. Say you upgrade your video card and processor, but you only have 512mb of ram. Programs are still not going to run as smoothly as you would like. Better, yes, but the 512 mb of ram will still bottleneck it.

Back
Top Bottom