Weird problem. Please help!

Izbitzer

Beta member
Hello everybody!

I have a very annoying problem with my computer, so I thought I'd ask here to see if someone could help me.

The problem I have is that my computer every now and then (seemingly randomly) will restart, and at reboot it gives me the error message "Primary master drive fails". If I then reboot it manually, everything works fine. I have two HD's. One 160gb and one 200gb drive. I have, until today used the 160gb drive as primary master, but since I got these restarts all the time, I though I'd switch. So today I made the 200gb drive the primary master. But the restarts keep coming. So I guess it's not the HD's that are the problems. The weird thing though is that these errors only seem to come when there's a heavy load on the 160gb drive(like when I'm copying something from or to the drive, or unpacking big rar-archives).

I tried unchecking the "reboot automatically" box in system properties. It will then, instead of rebooting give me a blue screen with the error message "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL", the strange thing is that it reports a different driver everytime, that don't seem to have anything to do with eachother.

I'm really out of ideas here. I've tried to change IDE-cables, power-cables, re-installing Windows without success.

My specs are as follows:

Motherboard: Asus A7V8X-X
Memory: Kingmax DDR-400 Long-DIMM 512 MB
HD1: Western Digital 1600JB
HD2: Maxtor 6B200P0
Graphics: GeForce FX 5200

Any help is appreciated!

Greets!

/Petter

I suspect a power issue... What kind of power supply do you have? Can you try another power supply, or just run with a single drive connected for a while

Power supply is hmm.. Q-tec ATX-350. I don't know if that's sufficient information, but that's what I could gather by reading from it.

[edit] oh, and I'll try disconnectiong the 160gb drive, see if I still get these probs.

I assume that's a 350 watt... yeah, just run it for a while and see what happens. Still can't completely rule this out if it still messes up, but it's a start...

Back
Top Bottom