wats the deal with dual monitor setup

civicrocker7

Baseband Member
i was wondering wat u can do with dual monitor setup do both monitors display the same thing or do they each display half the screen wats the deal

They are set to display half the screen.

For example, on the windows desktop, one monitor will house the icons, and will display the background, and the other monitor will just display the background.

Imagine the layout being double what you'd expect, so you could drag those icons from one side and see the mouse appear on the other monitor with the icons there.

A video can then be opened and sent to either monitor, as programs can.

I find this is a great way to work, and some games can take use of this feature too, like flight simulators, etc.

In a way, it takes out the need of using the windows taskbar all the time to select programs to maximise and minimize since you can have two fully open at the same time.

All this can be done on one video card with two outputs (VGA, DVI)

There are also boxes that can do this, It is like an external video card in a sense, They have many names, VGA splitters is most common around here, You plug it into your desktops monitor jack and you can have on average 8 monitor extensions, I have a 16 splitter somewhere. I dont use it though, I only have 5 monitors lol I would think that it would affect the quality of display but being split into 5 different signals doesnt cause much difference for me. The only problem is.. say you have say a 19 inch, and 2 15 inches, can only use the resolution for the 15 inch monitors or else your 19 will be the only one you can view.

Also, If anyone knows, How is it that you can have the windows task bar all the way across all monitors? I have seen it done before but I myself have had to settle for one monitor with it lol

there are a 5 modes for dual monitors, my possibilities:

dualview (my current) desktop as normal on one, and other just has background (no start bar) and u can just drag windows onto it! i commonly use it for watching video on one screen! or having msn up on one, and IE on other. all you do is pull windows straight across, very nice, simple :D

horizontal span: the regular desktop is stretched horizontally over both monitors! good if you have two exact same monitors with a small bezel around side! so ya can push em together and get almost perfect widescreen! seen fantastic gaming with it (halo i know for sure works great like this)

vertical span: as above but spanned vertically! would be a more difficult setup, never used it but hey i guess some will.

clone: normal desktop behaves exactly like having one monitor, second one is exactly what you see on first!

single display: not really a dual monitor option! but its listed! i doubt this needs explaining lol but.. basically you pick a monitor to use, and it turns off the other one! pretty simple!!!

simple explanations of the modes available for dual monitors on an asus fx 5700. hope this helps :D

personal note: dual monitors great! i dont know what id do without it! top two modes iv listed obviously best! i love dualview! :D

Well I'm thinking of getting some dual lcd viewsonics because I do gaming but I also do alot of webmastering and it's a pain to have to keep switching between programs and that... so if I had dual monitors, I would be able to edit the file in one and upload it in the other. they'res many uses for dual monitors but thats what I would mainly use it for.

Chris

I have triple monitors, and could never go back. It drives me insane to use a single monitor system now. It's awesome, once you go multi-monitors you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

I do a lot of web design, graphic design, writing, that sort of thing, and it's AWESOME for that. Even just for general multi tasking (looking at 2 pages at a time and talking on AIM) it makes life so much easier.

Sloth said:
I have triple monitors, and could never go back. It drives me insane to use a single monitor system now. It's awesome, once you go multi-monitors you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

I do a lot of web design, graphic design, writing, that sort of thing, and it's AWESOME for that. Even just for general multi tasking (looking at 2 pages at a time and talking on AIM) it makes life so much easier.

I would REALLY like you know how you pulled that off =o.

Chris

Triple monitors really isn't that hard. The main 2 monitors (19" CRT and 17" LCD) are powered by my ATi Radeon 9800 Pro graphic card (dual heads, so the monitors just plug right in and windows recognizes them right off the bat).

Then, I just took a PCI graphic card and placed it in the slot closest to the AGP card (it HAS to be that slot), and set the "Ignit. Display First" option in the BIOS to "PCI". That drives my 17" CRT. Windows XP has no problems at all recognizing 3 monitors, and it works flawlessly.

Of course, the minor details (1st PCI slot location, BIOS options, etc.) might be different depending on your motherboard, but I've done it on an A-Bit based system and an MSI based system with no problems.

Pretty cool once you have it up. :)

Back
Top Bottom