wanting new HD's, trouble deciding...

mtr4nch

Solid State Member
hey everyone, i want to get 2 new sata2 hard drives for storage of all my crap within reasonable price range (around $100) but im having trouble deciding which ones.. i was looking at 320gb sata2 7200rpm 16mb cache drives, and came up with the Seagate ST3320620AS and the Western Digital WD3200KS. i was going to go with the seagate but some of the reviews on newegg said the drives failed in a short period of time. and it would suck to put some stuff on there and then lose it all from a drive failure.

one thing im a tiny bit confused on.. i am aware that oem drives are just the drive itself with nothing else, but are they refurbished, or brand new drives? i was under the impression that they were brand new, until i read on some store's site that oem assumes that they are factory reconditioned...

anyways, any opinions would be appreciated.
thanks. :D

I have had that Seagate drive for about two weeks now and it works great. . . I wouldn't bet on it failing, that seemed to be on a lot of older reviews. Otherwise, the two drives are pretty much identical.

OEM: OEM products are brand new, I don't know who told you otherwise. The only catch is no software or cables come with it, so make sure you have some (motherboard should supply SATA cables).

mtr4nch said:
hey everyone, i want to get 2 new sata2 hard drives for storage of all my crap within reasonable price range (around $100) but im having trouble deciding which ones.. i was looking at 320gb sata2 7200rpm 16mb cache drives, and came up with the Seagate ST3320620AS and the Western Digital WD3200KS. i was going to go with the seagate but some of the reviews on newegg said the drives failed in a short period of time. and it would suck to put some stuff on there and then lose it all from a drive failure.

one thing im a tiny bit confused on.. i am aware that oem drives are just the drive itself with nothing else, but are they refurbished, or brand new drives? i was under the impression that they were brand new, until i read on some store's site that oem assumes that they are factory reconditioned...

anyways, any opinions would be appreciated.
thanks. :D

The seagates are the best drive in their class IMO. I use one of those, as well as i've put many seagate drives in computers before, and no problem.

Well, yes and no. It depends on the way they're made. Any drives companies will have at least one fail per day. It's usual. To me, I'd suggest the Seagate. The last drive I had was silent and good. The WDs are also good. It all depends on what's your liking.

Personally, I'll take seagate.

here's a great deal on two SATA 3Gb/s drives. Get a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB and a Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3250824AS 250GB for $209.99 w/free shipping from Newegg. The offer is good till 12/31. :D

This is straight from Seagates website, and this is why dont buy seagate drives. "Seagate may replace a product with a product that was previously used, repaired and tested to meet Seagate specifications." If your drive fails, have fun getting a used HD as a replacement. That ive heard rarely work well/long anyways.

Well, if they fix your drives, will it be any better? No. But I agree on a point: It's wrong to replace drives with used ones.

Personally, I'd go with the best value for money, ie. gb per £. They are both well established companies. The other thing to take into consideration is the actual shop you buy it from. Your contract is with them, not the manufacturer. Not sure where you are from, but in the UK, Ebuyer is both cheap, and has a very good returns policy, if things go wrong.

Back
Top Bottom