Vista issue/Hard drive swap Questions

Laell

Beta member
My Dell Dimension E521 with vista has recently crashed on me 2 days before x-mas with the following error:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings. and click "next."
3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Windows\system32\config\system

Info: Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing, or corrupt.

I do not have access to another vista cd, and my warranty has expired for my computer. So in order for me to get another cd it would cost me, and at this time I don't have the spare cash. I can't access Boot menu or even safe mode because my keyboard won't work until after windows has booted up, and I don't have a ps/2 slot to use that type of keyboard. I did nothing different to my computer when the problem occurred I turned my computer off like I normally do every other night or so, and my fiance woke up in the morning to turn it on and that happened.

Well my father brought an old computer of his he had for a while a Dell Dimension 3000 with Windows XP, it works alright it just doesn't perform the tasks I want to do. I was thinking of maybe taking the hard drive out of the Dimension 3000, and putting it into the Dimension E521. I'm just not sure what process I would need to do to make it work. I'm the best when it comes to hardware on computers, I've always messed around with programs and games, therefor this is a little beyond my knowledge if it's possible to do.

Hopefully if I can, maybe I could also use the process of putting the old hard drive into the newer computer to fix the problem that is occurring with the Dimension E521's Hard drive. Any information regarding anything to deal with my issues I am having would be amazing. Thank you for your time.

Also if any other information is required to help me I can try to get what ever is needed regarding either computers specs. Neither computer has had any upgrades when it comes to hardware.

Back
Top Bottom