Virus or Hardware Issue?

XPforDummies

Beta member
Afew days ago my computer started freezing up after booting up and running for about 20 minutes. I tried to reinstall XPpro and the problem continued. Then I tried install XPhome and it froze up halfway through the install. Now, I can't get an OS installed on my computer. I'm using the family computer to write this. Does this sound like a virus or a hardware issue? If its a virus can I create some kind of boot scan disc that gets rid of it? Or, if its either, How do I create a disc that will completely erase my hard drive and reconfigure it?

sounds like a hardware issue to me.

when you are trying to install XP pro are you completely formatting the hardrive and with NTFS ?

Ok, I searched google and found DBAN to erase my hard drive. Do I need anything other than my XP disk to start my computer back up?

Ok, I used DBAN and tried to install XPHome, but it froze at 23 minutes left. When it says "Completing Installation" and the bar is almost full. It keeps happening in the same spot so I guess its when it accesses a certain file.

Could it be something like a video card or one of the other pieces of hardware in one of those slots?

I'm very doubtful that the cause is a virus, I would check:

• HDD cable (could be faulty, try a different one)
  • Run Memtest86+ (could be a bad ram module)
  • Try a different hdd (could be a dying drive)
This is all assuming that the temperatures in the bios are acceptable and overheating is not the issue.

What are the system specs and bios temperature readings?

Back
Top Bottom