video lag

REGNARTS_

Baseband Member
I have a DC 3000 Movie writer ( http://www.cwol.com/usb/hp-dc3000-dvd-movie-writer.htm ). I'm running on a 1.6 P4, 512MB of DDRRAM computer.

Basically what this Movie writer does is capture video trhough RCA or S-video cable and you can burn it to dvd or cd. My problem is that during the capturing state, the video and sound being captured lags and sometimes the video and sound "jumps" like a scratched dvd movie and scratched music cd. What do you guys think might be the problem? Is it that my comp is too slow? The cable are not fast enough? btw, I only use RCA cables. Any help would be great.

what kind of video card do you have? And your processor might not be able to handle that much.

Here is the system requirement for this device:

Minimum system requirements: 800MHz Intel® Pentium® III processor or equivalent, 128MB RAM (256 recommended for video editing), 1024x768 video resolution with a minimum of 16 bit color required for video capture, authoring, & editing, USB interface (USB 2.0 Highly Recommended)

I'm still using the original video card, It says "Nvidia RIVA TNT2 model 64/model 64 pro" but shouldn't this be enough? Also, I do have usb 2.0 ports too. Can the OS be a factor? I'm running on XP home ed.

well, usually if you run games at minimum requirements, it doesnt run that nicely. So i would upgrade the cpu, vid card, and maybe the RAM. The RAM should be the last thing though.

Your RAM is fine for now...concentrate on your CPU and video card. The nVIDIA RIVA TNT2 64mb card is OLLLLLDDDDDD and obsolete, so you might want to get a newer budget card like the GeForce 5700 Ultra or the Radeon 9800 Pro (which are pretty cheap, since they're several years old now)

Thanks guys... one last question... does the cable play a factor? Or it doesn't matter how cheap the cable is?

It wouldn't play a factor in the speed of the movie,
but depending on the cable, you will get a better/worse quality at the end of recording because of interference etc., as with any analog capturing/viewing cables

Hope this helps

512mb video card? There not out yet...

Mine a Radeon 9800 PRo 128mb would run that type of thing fine, though I'd need something to capture it.

I would definetly change the graphics card to something newer though don't spend too much on it, as it seems like you don't play much games to bother.

I'd go about as low as a geforce 4 based card, as this would run that kind of stuff, but make sure it has about 128mb of memory for caching of data.

Another problem I just thought of could be the PAL to NTSC switch, though I'm sure this would only cause minor slowdown or jumpyness depending on whcih way it was concerning to your region.
If you live in America, check that it is set to NTSC. If you live in United Kingdom, check that it is set to PAL.

Hope this helps

Kage said:
512mb video card? There not out yet...

Mine a Radeon 9800 PRo 128mb would run that type of thing fine, though I'd need something to capture it.

I would definetly change the graphics card to something newer though don't spend too much on it, as it seems like you don't play much games to bother.

I'd go about as low as a geforce 4 based card, as this would run that kind of stuff, but make sure it has about 128mb of memory for caching of data.

Another problem I just thought of could be the PAL to NTSC switch, though I'm sure this would only cause minor slowdown or jumpyness depending on whcih way it was concerning to your region.
If you live in America, check that it is set to NTSC. If you live in United Kingdom, check that it is set to PAL.

Hope this helps
Yeah, I don't play much games only sometimes, emulation games :)...but those don't require anything so I'm going to spend small on the graphics card. Yes, I am aware of the regeion issues but still, I think that's minor.

Kage, Do you have a specific geforce 4 that you think will work best and how much do they cost nowadays in american currency? (since I noticed a lot of you are from the UK) ..:)

Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom