Video Card Overheats

Smithcobra95

Baseband Member
Recently my ATi 700x pro agp has been over heating...what a surprise right? Anyways, Ati has done nothing to solve my problem and I read somewhere that you can over ride the video card fan to make it run faster. I looked every where and couldnt find anything in the bios, nor in any faq reports. If anyone knows any other solutions, and knows how to turn up the fan speed, your help would be much appreciated. BTW everything else on my comp runs at 29-35 degrees celcius at MAX, but the GPU runs at 50+ when playing games then just shuts off....screen goes blue...and i hear a screeching noise. gg :mad: :confused:

well 50C isn't that much for a vid card. But u could go to the manufacturers website and see if they have some programs, but u probably won't be able to turn it above 100% since the fan ain't designed for that kind of stuff, but u can probably make it run at 100% all the time.

Or then just get a better hsf for it...

I have a nvidia card, and there is a program called CoolBits, which you can use to control fan speed and clocking on nvida cards. I'm not sure if there is one for ATI, but you could probably manually overclock it to let the fans spin faster.

50C is not hot enough to cause a video card to lock up and a system to recieve a blue screen. Something else is causing the blue screen, although it could still be the video card.

IMO the best solution would be to just replace the fan on the card with one that displaces the air a little better... (perhaps the fan from an older slot1 cpu, that's what I currently cool my video card with, the great thing about these is that not only do they shift a lot of air, but they are also quite small so you can put 2 side by side...

you might also try releasing the heatsink from the gpu board and making sure that there is a good contact with enough (though not too much) thermal paste.

you could also try a slot cooler in a slot next to the video card, but these are generaly puny and ineffective.

Thx for the suggestions...I ended up upgrading the fans for the cpu and gpu...hopefully it works...Thx a lot for the help

now, i don't knwo if i'm right or not. this may just be for a specific ATI card.

i believe theres a program called ATI tool that can control fan speeds of certain ATI cards. i'm not sure though, so i'm not going to supply you a link and be responsible if anything happens. google up on it and let me know if you find anything

Back
Top Bottom