video card installing problem

Jdilla209

Baseband Member
ok im back im not sure what happend to my other thread but its gone now, but like some of you said i turned off my onboard video card so that i can install my new ati one. once i put in the new card it wouldnt turn on but at the same time it seemed my computer knew that there was something in the pci slot because my screen wouldn't turn on while plugged into the onboard or the video card(of course) but once i took the video card out then it finally would turn on while plugged into the onboard.

i know that card works because I've just tried it in my other computer. but here's the thing, i notice that the pci slot in both computer are differnet, as the video card fits in both differently as well, but im quite sure that this motherboard is the right slot ,any thoughts guys?

again my computer is a emachine c6415 and the motherboard is a MSI-MS-7145

You sure it's not an AGP card? If you're sure it's pci express & is firmly seated in the top slot then yeah maybe the power supply cant handle it.

ok im back im not sure what happend to my other thread but its gone now, but like some of you said i turned off my onboard video card so that i can install my new ati one. once i put in the new card it wouldnt turn on but at the same time it seemed my computer knew that there was something in the pci slot because my screen wouldn't turn on while plugged into the onboard or the video card(of course) but once i took the video card out then it finally would turn on while plugged into the onboard.

i know that card works because I've just tried it in my other computer. but here's the thing, i notice that the pci slot in both computer are differnet, as the video card fits in both differently as well, but im quite sure that this motherboard is the right slot ,any thoughts guys?

again my computer is a emachine c6415 and the motherboard is a MSI-MS-7145

um, no, the PCI slots in the computers are the exact same, just like all PCI slots are the exact same, if the slots are different that's because one isn't a PCI slot at all, it's either PCI-E or AGP, you need to find out...

1. what kind of video card you have (PCI <I seriously doubt it>, PCI-E or AGP)...

2. what kind of slots you are trying to put that card in, if you're trying to put it into two different kinds of slots you are not doing that card any favors...

this is your motherboard...?

MS-7145.jpg

if it is, then you have a PCI-E slot for your video card, the card should only fit in one kind of slot, if it's PCI-E, it won't fit in an AGP or PCI slot unless you "make it fit", if you do that then your motherboard or video card will be fubar...

oh ok i cant see the picture of the motherboard but the card is a his ati radeon x1650pro iceq which if im correct is an agp card and im assuming mine is just a pci slot so thats why it doesnt work

yea mines the agp card one and i was trying to put it into a pci express slot.

Yup..that'd definitely be your problem :p

And that MB doesn't have an AGP slot according to a quick google search so it looks like you are out of luck unless they make some sort of PCI-E -> AGP adapter...

EDIT: Speak of the devil...

I couldn't find a place to purchase, but I did find this on google. :D

Back
Top Bottom