VGA and second monitor with Vista

OldRelayer

Beta member
I want to be able to display some TV show that I can get on my computer on my larger TV. I bought a VGA to HDMI converter to find out that my manual said I had one but I don't. However it did show up as a second monitor when plugged in. I think bought a VGA to RGB, knowing it wouldn't be great quality but something will be better than nothing. It doesn't recognize the devise at all, I am guessing it is because it is just wires and not electronics. Is there a work around that will allow me to get where I need to go?

Thanks,
Barry

I want to be able to display some TV show that I can get on my computer on my larger TV. I bought a VGA to HDMI converter to find out that my manual said I had one but I don't. However it did show up as a second monitor when plugged in. I think bought a VGA to RGB, knowing it wouldn't be great quality but something will be better than nothing. It doesn't recognize the devise at all, I am guessing it is because it is just wires and not electronics. Is there a work around that will allow me to get where I need to go?

Thanks,
Barry

Can you explain what you mean by the part I highlighted in your quote? I'm kinda lost..

Just to be sure what you're asking... you plugged in the VGA to HDMI and the computer did recognize it as a second monitor? As in, you were successfully able to have both monitors connected and working...?

The manual for my TV which I didn't want to move unesseccarily said I had an HDMI connector, but the manual covers many models and mine doesn't.

I did some further digging and you can switch to the other display even if it doesn't come up on the monitor list by using Fn plus F4. Another hurdle but it still doesn't work and I am not sure why not at this point. I can now see the two monitors and if I want to it turns my laptop monitor off but it still doesn't appear on my TV, need to figure out the next step.

Thanks for the reply,
Barry

It's probably a resolution issue. Some TV's will only display certain resolutions. You might have to mess around with them until you find the right one. On one of mine, it helps if I turn the computer (laptop) off and turn it back on with the TV connected.

I do like your life's philosphy, not that I live anywhere near that, way too conservative.

Well, the converter, which is really a misnomer, because it is basically just wires, does not have anyway of changing the resolution, so I guess I might have to play with it on the TV side. Would I see something at least, I just get a pure blue screen, it isn't even trying to display anything. The guy I bought the thingme from says I bought the wrong thing, but I don't know how many more ways you can say VGA to RGB, it seems pretty straight forward to me and the other more expensive and probably does work better does nothing more but does have some electronics to back it up. I am getting a little frustrated but I went through a similar deal to get my Analog DVR to work with the new digital and give use what we really want and that is the program guide. I never give up on these kinds of thing and eventually I do find something that will work.

Thanks for the informative post,
Barry

Does the TV have the PC in port? The one that hooks up to a standard VGA cable? Then you can hook up the TV just like you would a projector to the laptop (I'm going to assume you thought of this already but it never hurts to ask).

Can you hook up the TV and get video on both the laptop and the TV? That is what I did to adjust the resolution. (Of course I'm assuming it's a laptop since you mentioned having to press FN and an F button to get the video to display on the TV in the first place).

*OFF TOPIC* -- My signature doens't mean you have to go out skydiving every day....just to enjoy every part of your life and to never let any one thing cause so much discomfort that it ruins all aspects of your life. Just enjoy what you do and do what you enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom