Very Weird HDD Issue?

HammyCakes

Baseband Member
Greetings all!

Very recently I've had some weird issues with my hard drive! I have a 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM! I've had this for about 3 years at this point, and it's been tried and true! However, recently, I ran into this weird boot issue! When I turned on my PC one day, my PC came up with a message very similar to: "No Boot Media Inserted Into Drive. Please Insert Boot Media and Reboot" I was startled, I thought my HDD had failed! I booted to BIOS and sure enough, it wasn't detected! However, I could feel it spinning up! The only solution was to plug it into a different power cable, different SATA cable, and different SATA port on my motherboard! All was well, and there were no issues at all!!

Flash forward about 1 month, and I get the same message, same exact thing! I plugged it this time in just a different power cable and it worked!! To my frustration, the next morning when I powered on my PC I got the same message, only to find it was only my BIOS setting my disc drive as the primary boot device!!

I'm worried this may happen tomorrow, and I'd rather not have to open up my PC again. What could be going on? Is my disk failing? Any help is greatly appreciated!

My specs can be found here!

Have you got another drive that you can try with to see if its the drive itself.

I do, but they're very old IDE drives that aren't usable! I've been meaning to get a new HDD for a long time, so this may be the time. Does it sound like an imminent hard drive failure?

It means that your hard drive could be on it's way out. Why mess about hard drives are reasonably cheap these days and at the very least you need to get your files backed up if you haven't already done that. So a new hard drive will kill at least 2 birds with one stone. You can back up your personal files to it and you could install Windows or Linux, whichever you are using, and verify your old hard drive. Hard disk drives are mechanical devices and bearings and such can breakdown. You say you have had that hard drive for 3 years and if you are a heavy computer user the bearings and mechanicals of that hard drive could have covered many millions of miles. Also electronics are not infallible so a new spare HDD with your files backed up is a good investment.

I still wouldn't be mucking about with test programs. You have already done that and it tells you that your hard drive has issues. You have stated that you don't have any reliable spare drives so I would assume that you haven't got your stuff backed up. At the very least you should be buying a reliable drive to back your files up to and if you are going to do that you might as well buy a new hard drive and get it over with. By the time you have finished mucking about with all this test stuff your eyeballs will be spinning along with your brain and your hard drive may well have given up the ghost permanently

Back
Top Bottom