A Very Stubborn Inspiron 1545 - No Post, Very strange (With pics)

Lipsmoker

Solid State Member
Hey guys, So i have a dell inspiron 1545 with some pretty big problems which i cannot figure out myself.

I'v had this laptop for 3 years and it has never had a problem. 2 weeks ago my fiance tried to turn it on and nothing happened. Just an orange light flashing 3 times then a white light once (on the front) then it repeats. I know the orange light is due to the battery being dead. as it had to be ran on AC power because the battery only had about 30 seconds life left in it.

Now first things first. The charger has the correct steady voltage coming out of it. The motherboard has power going through it as the lights on the front.

Now this is the weird part. The laptop Flashes orange and white with the Charger IN and the dead battery IN, With the Charger IN and dead battery OUT it shows no sign of life. at all. no orange light and no white light.

Here is a diagram of the voltages checks across the motherboard

1016993_10200811980000201_931562777_n.jpg

As you can see there is 12volts coming through the charging board onto the motherboard and it's getting to many places around the motherboard. so it's not completely fried. ALSO with the dead battery OUT there is voltage around the motherboard. Just no indication light up front. so it looks dead but there's sneaky voltage everywhere. The weird thing i cannot get my head around is. The power switch connection on the mobo has Not a single volt getting to it (with a reliable earth/ground connection) how is it suppose to operate as a switch with no power to direct? am i missing something or is this my problem. Is it a case of following the lack of voltage back from the switch to most likely find a blown capacitor or regulator?

I'v heard it's bad to keep a laptop running on AC power without a decent battery. There was never a surge, Simply turned off when finished with at night and the next time, it was like this.

Can anybody shed any light? I'v asked around and nobody seems to know anything. i'v removed the ram and hard drive just to avoid any grounding problems.

Thanks guys,

this appears to be a bad case of battery corruption known as blue waffles. google it.

I Really didn't expect that sort of reply on here, Considering even threads on here have to be approved. It struck me as professional.

On a serious note, I pulled that prank years ago on my teacher who happened to pull it up at dinner time on the main screen in the office

I Really didn't expect that sort of reply on here, Considering even threads on here have to be approved. It struck me as professional.

On a serious note, I pulled that prank years ago on my teacher who happened to pull it up at dinner time on the main screen in the office

he is a troll, ignore his posts, he will be banned shortly.

I'm not too bothered about it haha, Just wasn't expecting it. Hate to bump up posts but does anybody have any advice on this? Any efficient ways to test? I cant find a strip down of the motherboard /Capacitors/regs and correct voltages anywhere! What is my next step? Been quoted $150 by a shop who seems to know nothing to do some motherboard soldering, Which is what the guy seems to think it needs without even looking at it. If this is possible to do myself then i am willing to do it. I don't mind getting hands on

See if you can get your hands on a good, cheap, second hand battery for that laptop. I have seen laptops turn to stone with a bad battery despite being on AC. The battery might be part of a circuit, in that the charger powers the battery directly then the laptop runs off the battery.

See if you can get your hands on a good, cheap, second hand battery for that laptop. I have seen laptops turn to stone with a bad battery despite being on AC. The battery might be part of a circuit, in that the charger powers the battery directly then the laptop runs off the battery.

Ah thanks for that! I'm not the sort of person to be easily defeated or to just throw something aside. Quoted alot of money for motherboard soildering. it's cheaper for me to buy a new board and fit it myself. I'll get the battery as it needs one anyway. If that doesn't work. Surely it's got to fire up with a new board. Never actually installed a cpu though. Is it as simple as installing the cpu with themal paste and the cooling unit. sitting the board in connecting up and power away?

He has it right. The battery has to be good to run off the charger as the PC cannot run straight off the charger with a dead battery. The battery has the amps to run it but the charger don't.

He has it right. The battery has to be good to run off the charger as the PC cannot run straight off the charger with a dead battery. The battery has the amps to run it but the charger don't.

that's awesome if that's it. i'll be a happy boy. but doesn't really add up with how i have ran a different inspiron without a battery even in it :/

Is it the same type of the charger with the same specs?

Really, I haven't known a laptop could run straight off a charger.

Back
Top Bottom