Using Speed Fan, Which temp is mine?

kevinbreault39

Baseband Member
So i downloaded a program called speed fan, and it works with my sidebar gadgets, to tell me what my CPU temp is and such.
First of all, i have a i7 920 2.67ghz (OC to 3.1ghz).
And when i use this program, or any program, i never know what temperature is for my CPU, also, i dont know how many cores i have, because it reads temperatures and stress patterns for 8 cores, do i have that many?
Basically, id like to know what the main temp of my processor is, and that is all.
This is what my speed fan program looks like. (im also wondering what the blue arrow down, red arrow up, and green check mark next to the temps mean.)
speedfan.jpg

Speed Fan? The problem with speedfan is that you have to set it up to use it.

Use Real Temp or Core Temp. These will work straight out the box, so to speak.

I use Real Temp to measure my i7 temps.

And to check if your running multi-thread (8 virtual cores) run the task manager and see ho many CPU usage windows you have. 4 = Multi-thread off, 8 = Multi-thread on.

But remember that you only have 4 physical cores not 8 so you will only get four different temp' readings.

yeah i believe it is.
but now when i got this program, it still looks confusing. What temp should i be looking at? and also, are they accurate?
realtemp.png

Looks normal to me. From the top...

CPU model name, speed, clock speed x CPU multiplier.

Then you have the graphics card temp @ 52'C, CPU load and total running time of Real Temp.

In the Temp' box is the temp's of each core, 46-40-46-42, which is ok with the standard heatsink and a comfortable room temp.

The TJ max is the temperature distance to CPU TJmax. In this case the TJ max is 100 and this will show the difference between the core temp' and the maximum junction temp.

Then you have the min and max temp's since the application was started. You can reset them with the 'Reset' button.

How hot is your room?

well, when i did that, it should have been pretty cold in there. Normal room temp i guess. Also, i am running liquid cooling. It is a alienware computer, they come stock with liquid.

well, when i did that, it should have been pretty cold in there. Normal room temp i guess. Also, i am running liquid cooling. It is a alienware computer, they come stock with liquid.

Woah.

Your running liquid cooling? Those temps are ok if your room temp' is like 25'C-30'C! And you have SpeedStep enabled...

I'd go into the BIOS and set it up yourself.

Run CPUZ and post the screen shot.

Here's the temp's on my system @ only 2.793Ghz @ 23'C ambient temp's.

Something doesn't seem right here.

EDIT:

Also your rig isn't overclocked although it may overclock itself when stressed.

The temps ain't bad I just expected them to be a bit better with a water cooler. But it really depends on the ambient.

The CPUZ screenie is showing an overclock, your right but it is also slowing down when idling, as shown in the Real Temp shot, and this is down to Speedstep - You can see that the Bus Speed (Clock Speed) remains the same. This is what Ailenware have set. The CPU multiplier reduces to slow down the CPU speed when idle.

X16.5 in the RealTemp shot
X21 in the CPUZ shot.

Is it being cooled with a re-badged version of this?

Back
Top Bottom