Using a Alienware m11x today

niceties55

Daemon Poster
I am getting rid of a bunch of old computers I don't need anymore on eBay and I was thinking of trading them all up for a used Alienware m11x. I know it is an older computer but it seems very capable, especially for the size and for the price I can get it at. (400 or less, USD). It has up to an (older) i7 with a 1GB video card. I can update it with max RAM and SSD which seems like it would be a great computer for many more years to come.

Is this a good idea?

Thanks!

Edit: "Now, I am not looking at the lastest greatest PC games [Just some older ones, (Like the Bioshock's, Mass Effect and the F.E.A.R. Series and others like that) and some Sony Vegas Video/ Photoshop photo editing and Cakewalk Music Editing / Recording."

Last edited:
I am getting rid of a bunch of old computers I don't need anymore on eBay and I was thinking of trading them all up for a used Alienware m11x. I know it is an older computer but it seems very capable, especially for the size and for the price I can get it at. (400 or less, USD). It has up to an (older) i7 with a 1GB video card. I can update it with max RAM and SSD which seems like it would be a great computer for many more years to come.

Is this a good idea?

Thanks!

Edit: "Now, I am not looking at the lastest greatest PC games [Just some older ones, (Like the Bioshock's, Mass Effect and the F.E.A.R. Series and others like that) and some Sony Vegas Video/ Photoshop photo editing and Cakewalk Music Editing / Recording."

Vegas? ewww Have you looked at the other offerings out there? If you are looking at video, audio, and color editing, why not get something like director suite

It will take the places of a few of those programs you listed.

For just video check out this: Video editing reviews

I used to use Vegas, and it is quite clunky in the way it's laid out and the way the features are arranged.

For recording, I like Ableton Live 9 best, but it's expensive for the full suite, the Lite version is reasonable and it comes free with some hardware, I got it with a Fender Mustang II modelling amp, and again with a midi keyboard I bought.

EDIT~
Oh, forgot to address the question.
What is the mainboard in it? For a laptop it's not replaceable anyways, so you just need to know the socket.
What CPU?
What GPU?

I looked it up. It's a laptop. I think I'd get a desktop just because it's a lot easier to upgrade, and there is a wider range of component levels to choose from.

If you need a laptop for portability, then go ahead, but that's the only benefit to a laptop in my opinion.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom