USB wireless adapter

jjhearn

Solid State Member
I just got my old desktop set back up and I am in need of some sort of internet access. Either PCI card (?) or USB adapter. I am thinking of just going with the USB, but want to make sure I get the right one for my internet service. What do I need to consider in my purchase? What do I need to make sure of as far as compatibility?

thanks
JJ

First question for you, how is your internet hooked up does it run to a router and is that router wireless. Whos your internet provider (i.e. windstream, charter,hughes net).

ISP is irrelevant as long as you have the appropriate modem, which they should provide.

I'm assuming you already have a wireless network hooked up? Is it Wireless B,G, or N? These are different revisions, and each offers a different speed. No need to buy anything faster than your network supports.

If your router/modem is in the same room as the desktop, a wired connection would be better though. Your motherboard should have a built in ethernet port.

I am with Windstream and have the wireless 2wire router. Not sure if it is B/G/N tho. Right now the PC is in another room. I might possibly be moving the router into the room with the PC but that hasn't happened yet. It does have an ethernet port, and if I do move the router into the other room, that will be fine.

I do already have several things hooked up to the internet, but not all are running all the time. Mostly gaming systems and Dish.

How can I find out if it is B, G, or N? I am looking at my router page, but I can't find it. May just have to call and ask I guess.

thanks
JJ

Back
Top Bottom