USB Ports Not Working.

Chidz

Beta member
I've been working on a custom PC for several days now and until now, it has been working perfectly fine, with no problems what so ever.
Today I tried to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7.
When it finally came round to setting it up, I noticed none of my usb ports worked anymore, so I am unable to set up Windows.
I've tried every port on my PC and NONE work. I also tried connecting a mouse through PS/2 but that doesn't seem to work either.
I pulled the battery on the motherboard to reset the BIOS settings which I set up again to get my PC to the setting I want. But still no luck :confused:
I am able to connect a USB Hub on early stages of boot up so I can access the BIOS settings, but as soon as the OS starts to boot, the Hub seems to disconnect (not turn off) from the computer.
So I'm left wondering, could my chipset have a USB power problem? Or maybe a signal problem?

Please help me as I'm hoping to finish this project before I go back to collage

It sounds like an operating system problem to me.

I have always had problems upgrading from one version of Windows to another. I alway perform a clean install, which you can usually do from an upgrade disk, just make sure to have an old WinXP disk handy when the Windows 7 installation asks for it.

So do you think I should just reinstall Windows Xp? Cause I'm getting the hint that my motherboard isn't too keen on Windows 7 :rolleyes:
Well, the USB ports didn't work too well with XP either, I had to put most of them through the USB Hub, so I suppose it could be to do with the motherboard?

In all honesty, I'm thinking of just scrapping this computer and saving some of the decent parts like the RAM and CPU :p

you should reinstall XP try to use a clean disk may be its your motherboard which is creating this problem....
just try troubleshooting your USB ports after installation..may this could help before you dump your computer!!!

Thanks for the heads up, I tried to reinstall XP as a clean install booting from the CD on startup, but they all cut out when it comes to entering the set up. So I can't even reinstall XP.
They all work fine through the BIOS and other parts of early booting, but as soon as an operating system comes in to play, they all seem to cut out?
But they stop working when I boot from a disc too, so it's a very strange problem if you ask me!
The only think I can think of the problem being is the motherboard.
I've stripped the whole thing down the chassis and put it back together to see if there was a loose connection somewhere, but that didn't seem to solve the problem.

So do you think I should just reinstall Windows Xp? [...]

No. I think you should perform a clean install of Windows 7. Try booting from the Windows 7 installation disk, if it will, perform the installation but have your WinXP disk handy. If you are using a Win7 upgrade disk, it will ask you to put a WinXP, or other privious windows OS disk in you CD drive to prove to the Win7 installation process that you are upgrading.

Thanks for the heads up, I tried to reinstall XP as a clean install booting from the CD on startup, but they all cut out when it comes to entering the set up.

They all cut out? What do you mean. Who are they, and what do you mean by cutting out?

So I can't even reinstall XP.
They all work fine through the BIOS and other parts of early booting, but as soon as an operating system comes in to play, they all seem to cut out?

Again, who are they? Cutting out?

But they stop working when I boot from a disc too, so it's a very strange problem if you ask me!
The only think I can think of the problem being is the motherboard.
I've stripped the whole thing down the chassis and put it back together to see if there was a loose connection somewhere, but that didn't seem to solve the problem.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but you really need to be a little clearer. Can you describe in more detail what is happening?

Back
Top Bottom