USB plug problem

hagar

Solid State Member
I am assembling a computer to use for my older software that will not run on W-8.1 or 10 so I will be running XP Pro. The board I am using is a MATX Endura EM945G.
The case I bought for the build has 2 front USB ports but the female USB end that should plug into the board does not match the sockets.
It is a female for 9 pins ( 5 pin receptacles on one row and 4 on the row below when you are facing the plug the blank one is on the lower left). It is about .5" X .1875". The board socket is a male for a female plug with only one row of 5 pin receptacles and it is about .5" X .125".

I hope someone can advise me how to fix this problem. :confused:

Respectfully,
Pat Hagar

What I did when faced with the same problem (different board) is I took the pins out of the plastic receptacle and googled the pinout sequence of that connector, it is standard so your board isn't basically, and then just pushed the female pins over the appropriate male pins.

Forgot this bit. Your motherboard manual should give you the pinout connections for the board. Just marry the two up and away you go. I think one end is earth and the other is positive so don't mix them up.

Last edited:
After thinking it over I don't know how I would do that since the case usb plug wire needs 9 pins and the Mb socket only has 5 available.

Thanks,
Hagar

I think that the top row of pins represent one usb plug, and the bottom row represents a second. It's pretty standard to combine two ports into one plug which is how your case is.

But, your motherboard has headers for single usb ports. If it fits you could probably plug the top row into your motherboard and have one of the usb ports work, but you'd sacrifice the other. I looked around a bit for a splitter or adapter of some sort but didn't see anything that would work.

Yes, I also tried to find an adapter cable but had the same results, none.
Could that mean the single plug has one of the 5 pins as a ground and the second row uses the same ground so it would not need the 10th pin ?

Thank you for you effort with my problem.

Hagar

Yes if I remember right that's how it works. What you might be able to do is find a couple single connectors, and splice them onto the cable from your case. But this is probably too much trouble and you'd have to be very careful to get the pinout right.

Another option could be to get one of these. A little overkill but it does have the 9 pin socket that you could plug your case front panel into.

I went for the board on Ebay. I don't know if I have the ability to rewire a plug that small without blowing something up. I hadn't thought to look there as I haven't bought anything from it in years. I think that should solve my problem and thanks to all.

Pat Hagar

Back
Top Bottom