usb not recognized!

wozelbeak

Daemon Poster
i have just reformatted and reinstalled xp pro.
all has gone well until i tried to put my usb pen into the usb port.
it would usually provoke a pop up on my desktop saying something like "mass storage device found". however it shows no reaction when i put it in now. i have a usb cable on my printer that works fine. i have tried other usb devices that also fail to show up. i have looked in the bios while the usb pen is inserted and can see that it is recognised by the bios. if i look in my in my control panel it does not show up? the pen works in my laptop so that is not a problem. i have looked in the device manager which is showing everything is in good order. i don't think it is the drivers causing a problem as nothing works in the usb ports, except for the printer which was plugged in throughout the re-format and reinstall.
any help will be much appreciated.

have you tried different USB ports? Does it work if you plug it into the port that the printer is connected to?

Have you tried installing the USB drivers? There should be some hiding in the motherboard installation CD.

Im guessing the drivers are ok, because the printer is working, could be wrong tho.

i have changed the printer cable to another port, it worked fine.
i put the pen into the port where the printer had previously been and nothing!!
i have updated the drivers for the chipset, however i can't find any specific drivers for the pen. i did not install any drivers on my laptop, and the pen worked fine with the drivers in xp.
the pen has a light on it which illuminates when inserted into the port.
it is a seitec 1gb pen.

OMG! the problem which caused me to do the reformat has now re surfaced!!!
when i click on shortcuts on the desktop it fails to open the programme. insted it opens a properties window.
im getting the hammer ready!!!
aghhhh.

Back
Top Bottom