USB Motherboard connection.

Padraic

Beta member
Is it possible to connect memory card reader cable (5 pin connection) and a IEEE 1394 cable (also 5 pin) to a USB connection (10 pin connection) on the motherboard. Basically i am reassembling a computer that some one else disassembled for a friend and i don't see any connection for the Memory Card reader or the IEEE 1394 cables except one available USB connection block (10 pins) on the motherboard. Physically the two 5 pin cables will perfectly match the 10 pin USB connection.
It is a HP Media Center M7000 pc with windows XP. The original motherboard got zapped by a power surge so we got identical board from China on EBay and it is working perfectly. The owner does not have the Windows XP cd so it is fantastic that the pc did not reject the transplant:) He does not have the XP cd so if anyone knows is there a way to make a restore cd of his system if he ever has to reinstall?

1394 is firewire not usb. If the case has a socket for it then look real close on the mother board for a firewire connection. The only thing you'll get out of that 10 pin on the board is USB.

Sorry, it is not a 1394 connection, see 1st photo. It is a cable going to the Media center cabinet on this pc. The connection is in about 10 inches at the back of the media center compartment and is hard to see. I don't know what type of connection it is but it has the same connection as my own pc to Printer cable via USB. I am adding some photos here of the two cables (Correction: One has 4 pin holes and the other has 5 pin holes) and they do fit the vacant 9 hole USB connection on the Motherboard. Also you can see the Memory card reader at the top of the tower and the Media Center compartment in the center of the tower on the left that these two cables go to. Sorry about incorrect information.

Attachments

• 2012-12-31 18.22.58.jpg
    2012-12-31 18.22.58.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 2012-12-31 18.20.25.jpg
    2012-12-31 18.20.25.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 2012-12-31 18.21.18.jpg
    2012-12-31 18.21.18.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 2
Thanks everyone, i got this problem sorted. I connected the two cables to the USB connection on the Motherboard and all is well. I noticed that the two cables together had the same coloured wires and in the same sequence as a USB cable and as well the above printer cable from my pc is connected to my pc by a USB port so i figured that the Media Center cable is USB compatible. So everything is working fine. I tested a MicroSD card and it is working perfectly. I was able to make up the 2 DVD restore DVDs too so thanks a million everyone.

Back
Top Bottom