USB issue and dilemma

Raithed

Solid State Member
Okay I am out of ideas, here's the gist of the story;

I have an eight gig USB drive, it has all my school stuff in it, tonight I was inserting a 500MB program onto the drive, I've done this before with 2GB program (Altera) and it worked fine, but this time the drive froze and then had an I/O error. I have read up on Google and the main fix to this is to reformat. I would HATE to do this as I have over 5gb of school-related stuff in my USB from school-programs to labs, etc.

My other resort is to use cmd line to copy off USB to laptop but cannot find a place that can do this specifically. My USB drive is F. Anyone help please?

PS. It also takes like 1~ minute for the laptop to detect the USB, tried this with PC also and it was about the same, and the files cannot be deleted for some reason, it says I/O error.

Can I get the commands to do that?

E - I am on Windows 7, I got it, going to try running it tonight.

I don't know how to get the info off it, but I'd recommend you not keep 1 copy only on the flash drive in the future. Even if it's not the most up to date file it's never a good idea to keep your only copy on the flash drive.

Yeah, you're right. Anyway, I tried to chkdsk via dos and it says cannot check drive directly; I think I am screwed. :/

If you want to try to copy the files off of your USB drive via the command line try this. Assuming G: is the drive letter for your USB drive and C:\backup is the folder you want to copy everything over to, try this from the command line:

xcopy G:\*.* C:\backup

It may not work too well if there are I/O errors to begin with, though. Good luck...

Yeah it basically took 10mins for me to have the drive get detected by the comp and have it opened. I went into safe mode and formatted it. But this is the weird part, the flash drive is STILL taking forever to have it get detected and open up. Does anyone know what the issue is? I did a quick format on it in safe mode, it's the only option I had.

Can I get the commands to do that?

E - I am on Windows 7, I got it, going to try running it tonight.

chkdsk c: (the c: is the hard drive. Or chkdsk /f c: will fix the problem. I hope Win 7 still has dos
You will have to use admin.

Back
Top Bottom