USB hub out of power?

The_Other_One

Daemon Poster
I found this quite odd... On my new computer, I have a USB hub I connect my external harddrive to and sometimes compoents I sat on my desk(though I do have a pair of USB on the first of this case) Anyway, I got my MP3 player today and decided to connect it to the hub so it wouldn't dangle and it my case. It registered and all but then said that the hub didn't have enough power to run it. This really confused me as with my old computer(I had a USB1.1 hub, still not plugged into the wall) I was able to do quite a few things including CHARGE my cellphone off of it, yet this one couldn't even use my MP3 player?! It doesn't charge ir or anything, just runs it. I didn't have the harddrive running.

*shrugs* It worked fine when connected to the front. Some form of fluke or something?

when you say hub do u mean like a one to four usb ports? if this is the case then it would be taking the supply from one port and duplicating it into four, so you'd lose some of the power in each socket. this is the only reason i can think of. :D

usb connections use most of the power from your psu more than any other component in th system. also have you got a setting in bios to alter how many usb ports to use 2,4,6,8,etc it may only be set to 2 or 4 and you are using 6. if not it may be time to fit a bigger psu unit to get that extra power you need.

Back
Top Bottom