URGENT! Plz Help!

raniosman

Solid State Member
Hi sorry to bug everyone from your daily businesses but i have a major problem.

I was installing the PST program so that i can send games to my motorola phone. Right before the installation finished, the program said that it was not compatible with my windows because i had a sp installed and it is only for non sp computers. I clicked ok and then it said installation complete and asked whether i restart now or later, i chose now. The computer never booted to windows again. The computer boots up until i get the screen of how i want to start windows: Safe Mode, SM w/ Networking, SM w/CMD P, Last known working ect....... so whatever i choose, nothing happens and it restarts and the cycle begins again.

This happened about an hour ago and i have been tirelessly trying to make it work. I took out the hard drive and attached it as a secondary hd to my friend's computer. And it works when his hd is the primary but when i move mine as primary it does the same thing. I also moved his hdd to my pc and still the same t

Can someone please help. I have really important files on my hard drive, especially for school and work. I want to know if i can fix it again or should i just copy my important stuff to my friend's hdd and format my own.

My stats:
Windows Xp Pro w/ SP2
3.2Ghz intel cpu
Motherboard: Asus P4S8X MX
Onboard video card and sound
Maxtor 200GB SATA hard drive
this is a custom built computer and i havent had any problems with it since 2004 when i built it.

just to be safe, i would do the backup no matter what.

i would start by booting off of the windows CD and going into the recovery counsole and doing a "fixboot" and a "fixmbr"

if this doesn't work a repair install of windows might work, altho i've never had good luck with it.

as a last resort i would just compleatly re-do the windows install.

i would personally use your friends pc to backup all your data and then id totally wipe the bugger clean. id then re install and see what that does. shouldnt take too long. you could also try a repair install but id personally do that ^. incase the problem comes back or what not

ok. I think im going to backup everything. I tried to go to the repair console but it doesn't show up.

I insert the cd and load up the windows xp setup.
It tells me to push Fsomething and Fsomething for SATA inst. and Automated System Recouvery. I don't
Then it checks if there are any previous windows.
Then it shows me my 4 partition drives and Option #1 tells me to select which one i want to install windows and press sometihng. Option #2 is to create new partitions. #3 is to delete a partition. and that is about it. If i choose option #1 it does a windows setup, which i am using right now. So i am able to install and use a windows but not my old one.

i dont get ya... just re format which ever drive/partition you were using xp on then re install it to that drive/partiton. make sure you backup.

nevermind..... first i have to move my important stuff from my windows's drive - i don't wanna lose my documents and some others. Guess i gotta take out my unused 300GB hdd cuz my friend's computer is only 80GB oh boy this is gonna take long.

Alright thanks everyone, your help was appreciated. I'll let u guys know the final outcome!!

One final question though: Should i install Windows Vista instead of XP? like is Vista compatible with most of the programs on XP? and i don't have a key which means i can only get the 30day limit unless someone releases.... but you all know.

well i have a dual boot of vista and xp. id suggest installing xp first then vista afterwards on a new partition. . you can then have both incase vista doesnt work out or you have a prog that only works on xp. i have a "kind of legal" copy of it and i can run office, msn, avg, my wireless works fine, etc, basically all the essentials... so its fine for me, but if you cant get hold of a vista key then atleast you can enjoy it for 30 days and go back to xp without a load of hassle. which is what i might have to do :(
good luck btw. thats alot of stuff you have. i have about 100gb's of stuff max. realistically about 80gb

lol why microsoft? why must you be so expensive?!?! lol well the reason i have to use my other hdd is b/c my friend's hdd does not have enough space to sustain half the size of one of my partitions.

I like the idea of having duo Os. why didn't i think about it before.

Back
Top Bottom