UPS power

geek_gal

Daemon Poster
Quicky q'

Does UPS use much power?

May seem like a silly question,

I really need one, my house has old wire's and all that and we are getting more storms now :\

But money is kinda tight (well alot of the time it is) and my rents are complaing to me about my power usage :\
[[Well thats what you get for having a a geeky daughter =P ]]

Thankie's.
Helpful coments are most welcomed.

Well.. I don't think a UPS would use any more power than your computer does. In fact, I think its a little less. I don't know much of anything about UPS systems though. I really need one myself, but I don't have the money.

You need to find one that can supply the same or more wattage that your PSU and monitor require to run.

Random question, does AU use the US electric standard of 120 Volt at 60 hertz, or Mains Electric standard of 230 Volts at 50 hertz?

Well.. I don't think a UPS would use any more power than your computer does. In fact, I think its a little less. I don't know much of anything about UPS systems though. I really need one myself, but I don't have the money.

The way a UPS works, it will raise the power consumption by the constant charging of the battery.

oh, wow, i didnt know it is more.. like i said, all i really know about them is that they have to supply the same or higher wattage as your monitor, psu and anything else you might want to hook up to it.

Hm, I think I will be getting one of these for christmas. Is GeekSquad's UPSes good? I really need one and I can easily get a GeekSquad one lols.

I use an APC 350 watt UPS. It's cost effective to buy and use. As for how much power it draws, it's really negligible. The computer runs on the inverter all the time with the battery float charging till the UPS looses AC power. Then the UPS is running off the battery. On smaller units like mine the avg run time is about 5 mins. Give or take a bit. Depends on how much your rig pulls. For home use you do need to look at a few things before you plunk your money down.
How much power is your system using.
How long do you want it to be able to run on the UPS alone.
How much do you want to spend.

I would suggest you do your homework first. The two major players in home and commerical UPS's is Tripp Lite and APC.
Also make sure your home's electrical wiring has a grounded system. If it's not grounded (3 holes in the wall outlet) the surge surpression will not work or work properly.

Besides what in the world are you doing with your computer even plugged in during a storm? Doing that is asking to get zapped.

Isn't it safe in a storm if it's pluged into a surge protector? (the computer)

In a word, no. Surge supresstion works for every day spikes and variations on the power line. Small stuff. But lightning is mega amps and volts. A close strike or a direct hit and no surge surpressor will survive. Along with your computer. Some companies brazenly advertize some sort of warranty if the device fails to protect your equipment. But if you read the fine print it doesn't include lightning.
When a storm comes turn off the computer, unplug it and all of your goodies. Then go admire the storm.

Back
Top Bottom