Upgrading to play Portal 2

Vike91

Solid State Member
I runned a test at Systems Requirements Lab, creator of Instant Expert Analysis for Portal 2. I'm using a laptop.
It gave out this:

CPU
Minimum: 3.0 GHz Pentium 4, Dual Core 2.0 (or higher) or Athlon 64 X2 (or higher)
You Have: Celeron(R) Dual-Core CPU T3000 @ 1.80GHz
PASS

CPU Speed
Minimum: 3.0 GHz Pentium 4, Dual Core 2.0 (or higher) or Athlon 64 X2 (or higher)
You Have: 1.8 GHz
Upgrade Suggested: Unfortunately, your CPU Speed does not meet this requirement. Click here to see some recommendations.

RAM
Minimum: 1 GB XP / 2 GB Vista & 7
You Have: 2.9 GB
PASS

OS
Minimum: Windows 7 / Vista / XP / 2000
You Have: Microsoft Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 32-bit
PASS

Video Card
Minimum: Video card must be 128 MB or more and should be a DirectX 9-compatible with support for Pixel Shader 2.0b (ATI Radeon X800 or higher / NVIDIA GeForce 7600 or higher / Intel HD Graphics 2000 or higher).
You Have: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Upgrade Suggested: Unfortunately, your Video Card does not meet this requirement. Click here to see some recommendations.
Features: Minimum attributes of your Video Card
Required You Have
Video RAM 128 MB 1.3 GB
Hardware T&L Yes Yes
Pixel Shader version 2.0 4.0
Vertex Shader version 2.0 4.0

Free Disk Space
Minimum: At least 7.6 GB of Space
You Have: 253.0 GB
PASS

So, according to this test i need to upgrade my CPU and Video Card.

Which alternative is cheaper: to get a new laptop or to get those components?

And, do laptops and desktops use same kind of CPU cards?

What is your laptop make and model? Some laptops allow new video cards but many don't. Same with CPU's except most laptops (with some exceptions) allow new CPU chips, but they do not use the same CPU's as desktops. Just FYI They are not CPU "cards" the correct terminology is CPU "chip". It depends on how old your laptop is, its make and model and how much you are willing to spend.

What is your laptop make and model? Some laptops allow new video cards but many don't. Same with CPU's except most laptops (with some exceptions) allow new CPU chips, but they do not use the same CPU's as desktops. Just FYI They are not CPU "cards" the correct terminology is CPU "chip". It depends on how old your laptop is, its make and model and how much you are willing to spend.

My laptop is Compaq Presario CQ61 Notebook PC.

Compaq Presario CQ61 Notebook PC
after the CQ61 there should be something like -300UA. What is yours? Check underneath your laptop There are a whole line of CQ61 laptops.
You could get an awesome desktop for $1000, thats what I built mine for.

Yep :(
If you are going to be upgrading a lot to play new games, you are seriously better off getting a desktop

Back
Top Bottom