Upgrading... need some advice/ opinions

linnerd40

In Runtime
Salutations CF members!
For a while now, I have been wanted to upgrade my computer, and with the AMD price drop, it is finally within reach. My current system is as follows (don't laugh :D ):

Intel Celeron D Socket 478 @ 2.53Ghz
512MB RAM
ASRock P4i45GV Motherboard
Integrated Graphics :(

Yeah, I know... not that good. So, I was thinking about doing the following upgrades:

PNY Verto GeForce 6200 AGP 8x Graphics Card (128MB)
Gigabyte GA-K8U-939 Socket 939 ULi M1689 ATX AMD Motherboard or ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 Socket 939 ULi M1695 ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD X2 3800+ Processor

Well... what do you think? I know the Graphics Card is not that good, I bought it a while ago, but I don't need a good one really, I use Linux and really just want to make use of XGL. Also, I know I should upgrade the RAM, but I am going to put that off until around Christmas, when I will grade to 1 or 1.5 Gigs or RAM. Will the 512MB RAM be OK with the X2 3800+ for the time being? Also, I run SuSE Linux, so I need compatible hardware. I just need some second opinions. Thanks to anyone who can help!

Also, where can you get good in-expensive RAM (1 gig stick or 2 512 MB sticks)? Thanks... I still need advice on the above though.

Well your going to need a new psu too.

Your basicly going a whole new build, but you will salvage the cd drives from the old computer?

Ill show you a decent computer for that. And.. Whats your budget?

A new PSU? Really? Well, I currently have a 400 Watt power supply... I thought that would do. I am still using my old system. I have my CD burner Drive, My DVD drive, and my 2 hard drives, which I plan to use. My upgrade budget cannot excede $220 (that is all I could come up with). Thanks for any advice you can give me!

I just looked @ TigerDirect and saw the AMD Athlon 64 3700+ for only $104. I think I will go for that instead of the X2, it is more in my budget and I don't really need a dual core CPU as much as I want one :D . Still, what are you thoughts on the matter?

Go for the dual cored cpu. It'll be better in the long run. They are making more and more programs that will utilize the 2nd core.

Is it generic? I think it should be good enough though. The new X2 are power-efficient, right? And the graphics card shouldn't eat up too much wattage.

But I have a question, are you upgrading your current computer to an AMD processor?

Back
Top Bottom