Upgrade!!

shadydawg

Baseband Member
Hello all!! i have a gateway dx 4710 computer an i want to up grade the inside of it.. Was wondering if any motherboard will be able to fit in the casing.. i want to upgrade it slowly like i get the motherboard an use everything from of the old board till i can work my way up to getting a new processor an so forth

As far as a can tell by searching for your computer, it has an old LGA775 socket.
So you plan on upgrading your CPU later and you are staying on the old 775 socket motherboard. Is that it?

I don't think that that's what you want sense you could just upgrade the CPU sing your current motherboard.
In case you are planing on a more modern setup, will have to rethink your purchase.
You can't put in a modern motherboard and expect it to support your current older CPU.
You will have to upgrade the motherboard and the CPU at the same time.

Last edited:
As far as a can tell by searching for your computer, it has an old LGA775 socket.
So you plan on upgrading your CPU later and you are staying on the old 775 socket motherboard. Is that it?

I don't think that that's what you want sense you could just upgrade the CPU sing your current motherboard.
In case you are planing on a more modern setup, will have to rethink your purchase.
You can't put in a modern motherboard and expect it to support your current older CPU.
You will have to upgrade the motherboard and the CPU at the same time.

Ok!! that what i was thinking to get a more up to date motherboard that can support my cpu what i got now an also be able to support a more uptodate cpu later down the road.... just was wonder if a more up to date motherboard can work in this casing i got now.

As long it's ATX or Micro ATX it should fit.

ok so would it be possible that it would be able to support the cpu that i got now.. then if i choose to upgrade the cpu to say a intel i5 would it also still be able to work

No.
The I5 CPU's are supported on motherboards using the LGA 1056, 1055 and 1050 sockets.
not the LGA 775 that you currently have.

No.
The I5 CPU's are supported on motherboards using the LGA 1056, 1055 and 1050 sockets.
not the LGA 775 that you currently have.

ok what are your views on this...

Intel Core i5-4430 Processor and MSI Z87-G41 PC MATE Intel Z87 Motherboard and ADATA Premier Srs 4GB DDR3 Desktop Memory Module Bundle at TigerDirect.com

I want something where i can play the latest online games if any catches my attention.. but at the moment am only playing perfect world international. Just want something i can run that smoot with some nice fps.. I also download,convert an burn movies as welll.. Will that set up work in my case?

yeah. This setup will handle that just fine.
Note that gaming FPS are mostly the GPU's doing. As long as the CPU can keep up the performance is all GPU.

yeah. This setup will handle that just fine.
Note that gaming FPS are mostly the GPU's doing. As long as the CPU can keep up the performance is all GPU.

ok thanks.. wwhat gpu would you reccomend.. oh another what are you thought on the price of that.. or you think i can get a better set up for that pricce

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom