Uninstalling W98

Northerner1

Solid State Member
trouble is that I can't! I have an elderly laptop running W98 and I want to hook this up to my wireless network at home but I need to upgrade to W98 SE for network connectivity.

I have a W98SE CD (not an upgrade) and this requires the removal of W98 but I just can't get it to budge! It looks as though IE 5.5 is causing the problem as , apparently, this needs to be uninstalled before removing Windows. When I try to remove IE using Add/Remove Programs, I get an "Add component" or "Repair" option but that's it.

Any ideas on where I go from here - or does the laptop go in the bin?

Just install it over the top. 98 SE should have the option of removing it when you are running the setup for it.

< Just install it over the top. 98 SE should have the option of removing it when you are running the setup for it.>

No - after the installation has started I get an error box saying I must use an upgrade programme and not a clean install. So, it appears that SE won't remove W98.

Northerner said:
< Just install it over the top. 98 SE should have the option of removing it when you are running the setup for it.>

No - after the installation has started I get an error box saying I must use an upgrade programme and not a clean install. So, it appears that SE won't remove W98.

Have you tried wiping the hard drive? as this will clear everything off it, leaving you with a empty hard drive to install W98SE on :)

Have you tried wiping the hard drive? as this will clear everything off it, leaving you with a empty hard drive to install W98SE on

Thought about that but how do I activate the CD drive if the disk is formatted :confused:

Northerner said:
Thought about that but how do I activate the CD drive if the disk is formatted :confused:

The cd drive should still work after you format the Hard Drive. Just format the hard drive, restart and install Windows 98SE
:)

Northerner said:
You need a system disk,this gives you cdrom support,a temp drive for your Windows cd.
Don't have one > it's an easy email,just unzip to a floppy.
;)

Back
Top Bottom