Uninstalling and Reinstalling a Video Card

Relmiw

Baseband Member
i recently had some problems running my computer and thought i could fix it by uninstalling my video card. i was able to uninstall it when my power supply died and i realized that was the problem.

i have since gotten a new power supply and am now working at reinstalling the power supply, though i remember reading that this can be very tricky.

is there a program i have to run prior to installing a video card that cleans up the files left over from a previous installation?

*edited. the screen has been a little choppy. hopefully that is because the vid. card isn't installed right now.

I think a defragger would clean them. If not, plug your video card back in (you might not have to do this), then head over to Device Manager (right click My Computer). There you should find "Display adapters". Right click and uninstall. Then download new drivers for your video card and install them.

Driver Sweeper:

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1655

Just run it before installing the video card, shut down, install the video card, and boot back up. Windows will then automatically assign drivers to the new card until you install the proper drivers.

thanks aowen.
my video card is an ati radeon 9550
the driver sweeper gives me the options to clean

AGEIA - PhysX
ATi - Display
Creative - Sound
Microsoft - Mouse
NVIDIA - Chipset
NVIDIA - Display
Realtek - Sound

i find it interesting they offer the nvidia drivers, i can't think of what they would be from
am i right in thinking i should only clean the ATI?

The list is inbuilt and generic, it doesn't rely on what is in your particular pc, it's like that for everyone.

Clean with ATi - Display

ok, i got the video card installed, but i've since faced three more disheartening problems.

1. my AVG virus won't update, saying: "General error - not enough free memory, write error.

2. windows has an update for me, yet when i install it i see "The following updates were not installed: Update for Windows XP (KB898461). it doesn't give me a reason for why this wouldn't work, though.

3. i attempted to load world of warcraft, to make sure my video card was working. i was able to log in and then it started freezing. it would stay frozen for fifteen seconds before unfreezing for one second, repeatedly. this did not fix itself when i quit warcraft and i had to restart my computer. it is currently not locking up but i have not tried to run it since that.

i am hoping these are all root back to one problem, maybe this has something to do with the power supply i just installed? a loose cable or jostled ram? i have two 512 sticks installed.

the only processes over 10mb worth of memory usages that show running are avg at 31, svchost at 29, sp_rsser at 28 and explorer at 14mb.
the only programs i have on startup are avg, spyware terminator and aim

Back
Top Bottom