Underperforming 6800

maroondude14

In Runtime
I just got a evga 6800 128 mb agp graphics card to put in my computer.
My computer has 512 mb of pc2700 ram and a amd athelon xp 3200 2.2 ghz cpu.

I only get 5000 3dmark03 points.

Wuts holding this thing back?

Ah. That might be normal because I got about 5,xxx-6,xxx 3DMarks when I first tested it stock. When you start overclocking, then it'll go up. If you can, try to find the 66.93 drivers from nVIDIA's archives. Those ones are the best nVIDIA drivers yet. No crashes, artifacts or anything. It's as smooth as heck. Don't use the latest official drivers from nVIDIA. I've heard pretty bad things about them. Just use the ones before.

Plus that PC2700 RAM can't be doing much good for your system being that its rather high spec.

Yeah, that RAM is a bit slow for what you have currently, but DDR400/PC3200 RAM is cheap these days, so you shouldn't have a problem finding a good value kit.

yeah i dont know what my dad was thinking when he bought an emachines. Anyways, i tried downloading the driver but it didnt work and i cant screw up the computer because i would be grounded for forever. (lol) I am gettig more ram soon. Pc 3200.
Is there a big performance leap between 1 and 2 gigs? Because 2 gigs is kind of expensive. Also, before i can overclock, i need some new fans. Would you guys reccomend a pic slot fan that blows directly at the graphics card? Its runing 57 degrees celcius right now, which i know is hot. What is the tempautre range i should stay in while OCing? Finally, alvino, you had a 6800 right? What speeds did you overclock it to?

maroondude14 said:
Also, before i can overclock, i need some new fans. Would you guys reccomend a pic slot fan that blows directly at the graphics card? Its runing 57 degrees celcius right now, which i know is hot. What is the tempautre range i should stay in while OCing? Finally, alvino, you had a 6800 right? What speeds did you overclock it to?

57 C ain't too bad. U are fine as long as it doesn't reach 90 C under load (they can take up to 120 C but I don't think it's good for the card to run at those temps for long perioids of time.)

And for the ram I'd get 2gb, but u will be fine with 1gb for a while, though most of the new games have a recommendation of 2gb.

Back
Top Bottom