Unable to detect CD/DVD or any USB devices

Windbrand

Beta member
I'm using Windows 7 64-bit, on a Sony Vaio laptop (i5 1st gen, 4GB RAM). All of a sudden the computer stopped detecting ANY inserted USB device or CD/DVD this morning. This includes USB mouse, external HD, iPhone cable, flash drive, DVD movies, etc.
- The inserted USB or CD/DVD does not show up in my computer
- The inserted USB does not show up in device manager (no, it doesn't say "unknown device") under "USB controllers"
- There is a yellow exclamation mark beside "DTSoftBusCd00" and "Optiarc DVD RW AD-7710H" under "DVD/CD-ROM Drives" - however they are already updated to latest
- I have no "LowerFilters" value in regedit/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} - I only have "UpperFilters" - according to the Microsoft article, if I have no "LowerFilters" then I shouldn't delete "UpperFilters": Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs
- I have tried the Microsoft Fix-it on the above page, it doesn't do anything and gets stuck on "scanning for devices"
- I have restarted computer many times
- My BIOS settings doesn't seem to have "integrated peripherals" setting. All it has is some basic boot options like "boot from external device". I've tried pressing F2 when it's starting up and it goes to the BIOS window I believe. F3 goes to Vaio Rescue.
- The USB devices and CD/DVD does show up in safe mode

Thanks for help.

What is the manufacturer of your computer, Your USB chipset drivers may have gone, This happened to me the other day and I reinstalled them and it was working again..

In safe mode, download and run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Most likely, you have some type of malware that is disabling removable storage devices.

Back
Top Bottom