Ubuntu bootup problem

Jesusfrk611

Fully Optimized
I installed Ubuntu a little while ago and got time to mess with it. I went to activate the nVidia drivers and then rebooted and now it won't load Ubuntu... Any thoughts? I'm fairly new to anything minorly advanced in Ubuntu. I got several things installed fine, and then this happens...

Hi,

Can you give me some more detail into what nvidia drivers you installed. Also, what do you get then you turn on your computer, do you make it to the login screen or not? Or do you just get a black screen with command prompt?

Cheers!

It was whatever was on Ubuntu. I have an nVidia 7600GT, and I installed the recommended driver of the 2 in the list...that's all I got for you on info for the driver...

No login screen. It acts like to boots up with the progress bar, then a command prompt type thing instead of the login screen loads. It asks for my username and password, then just sits there after I type them in...

Ok, thanks! I would like you to type your username and password. Then it will bring you to a command prompt. I would like you to try typing
Code:
startx [color=blue]or[/color] sudo startx
See if either of those work. If they do great if they don't then post the error messages that you are getting and we can try some other things.

Cheers!

Hi,

Give me a day or so, and I will be able to come up with a solid answer to start with.

Cheers!

Hi,

I have to say sorry for not coming back for a few days. I had to put all forum activity on the back burner due to real life.

Back to the problem...I would like to know if you might have a second computer that is connected to a home network with this linux computer? The reason that I ask is I would like you to get the contents of the following files xorg.conf, Xorg.0.conf If you were able to install ssh then you could get to the computer by putty or another program with ssh and copy the files really easy. I can walk you through installing ssh on the computer.

If you can't then I need you to restart the computer and then take more pictures of the xorg.conf and Xorg.0.conf files.

Hope all is going well with you in this endevour.

Cheers!

Back to the problem...I would like to know if you might have a second computer that is connected to a home network with this linux computer? The reason that I ask is I would like you to get the contents of the following files xorg.conf, Xorg.0.conf If you were able to install ssh then you could get to the computer by putty or another program with ssh and copy the files really easy. I can walk you through installing ssh on the computer.

Or he could grab his handy dandy live cd *cue superhero music* and copy the files from there. Once we have a look at those files we can see what's up.

Jk, you are right, i didn't really think about that it is really early in the morning here. Not all there yet. Feel free to jump in and help at anytime and help me out.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom