Two Nvidia 7950GT's SLI Vs. One 8800 Ultra

Narfy

Beta member
Hi guys. Ill break down what this post is about.

I currently play Call of Duty 4. I get 50-90 FPS and I would like to get much higher FPS than this.

Here are my Current Specs:

2 Gigs Ram (800 mhz)
Core 2 Duo with 2.33 Ghz
Nvidia 7950GT (512 ram)
500 GB Hard Drive
SLI MotherBoard

There are two things I can do here to hopefully better my FPS significantly and I am merely trying to figure out which way would be the better route to raise my FPS.

The 2 Options:

1) Buy a second Nvidia 7950GT (512 Ram) and put it on my SLI mothboard to run two of the same video card

OR....

2) Buy a seperate (single) 8800 Ultra, which everyone is raving about.

Any thoughts on what I should do guys? I dont know which would be better way to go?

I haven't seen any comparison between the 7950's SLI'ed VS. the Ultra. In all other cases the 88 will win.

Big question here is what operating system are you using. That is the determining factor for me.

why do you need to see more then 50 - 90 fps .

but the 8800 ultra will be better the 2 7950

Im only running the game at a 600 x 800 Resolution, and even then the FPS will fluctuate alot as low as 40 FPS at times... I just want very very smooth gaming. If the Ultra is going to allow this; then I might end up getting it. My buddy has an 8800 Ultra and says hes getting 200+ FPS with this damn thing... lol

You wont even see a difference between 40 and 200. You are fine. My 7900gs runs everything but crysis fine, so you 7950gt should be fine. Unless you have superhuman eyes, it wont make a difference, except for braggin rights. And I run the game at 1680x1050 fine.

but the resoultions hes running it on is terrible.
if you can afford it. buy a ultra or wait intill the 9800

but the resoultions hes running it on is terrible.
if you can afford it. buy a ultra or wait intill the 9800
He could run it at a high res if he wanted too, and still get good FPS, he just doesnt.

Even if you can get 200FPS, it wont matter. If you are using a monitor, it can go up to 85 possibly, but most will stop at 60 on the highest res, and tvs also stop at 60...

Back
Top Bottom