Transfering setting, one comp. to another.

trance-n-e

In Runtime
Since I might be building myself a new computer in a month or two (definetly after conroe comes out) and I already have everything I want, the way I want, with everything customised on this computer, I would like to know if there is a software out there that can transfering like all the settings, files, etc, from one computer to another. Now I know that Windows XP has a function like that, but I dono if its reliable. (anyone tried it?)

Thanks

I haven't tried it, but I assume it should be reliable!

I would suggest you make a ghost image using Norton Ghost which is a direct copy of the drive. The fact is, since you'll be updating system components, you'll know that Windows won't accept it, and so you'll have to format.

Porting over settings/files though should be fine, but I assume you'll have to re-install Windows XP.

Best BEST way to do it is, set a raid configureation with your harddrive, then just switch out the HDD's.... Make sure the Hard drive that you ahve right now is compatible with the new mobo you are getting...if anything..get a dvd drive and backup it ALL to dvd disks...if you can.

If you need to get a new HDD, make sure to get a mobo like this one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127207
i personally like it.
Getting a hard drive...i suggest getting SATA
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144701

I know this wasnt asking for parts..i was just suggesting some good ones if you in the future needed help.

how about norton ghost? i dont know anything about it but from what i can tell it makes an exact copy of your hard drive which u could copy to another one i assume, the only problem with that is u might have drive conflicts because u will be changing all the hardware going to the new comp, to be honest its just best to download all the installers for the programs u want then just install a fresh copy of windows, thats what ive found to be the best thing to do

Norton Ghost is by far the safest and most reliable way to do it. It can direct copy between different HD types and it will automatically allocate extra disk space to the partition. You may need to change a few drivers, but safe mode will let you do all of this easily.

Well thanks guys, but it just seems not worth the hastle. Better reinstall and reconfigure a new installation. Thanks again.

Its okay. I suggested a Ghost installation too, but realised you would have to re-install Windows anyway since it'd be a different setup and wouldn't accept it.

Though, i guess that way you could still keep your files, if you partitioned for example before hand (which i suggest you do next time if not already)

Back
Top Bottom