Tips for a beginner

Paladin D

Beta member
Hey everyone, new guy here. The last two years I've been wanting to assemble my own PC. I'm tired of shopping for PC's that are either lacking in one area (such as, one PC may have the RAM I want, while another has the video card I want), or they're too expensive. I bought the MaximumPC "Guide to Building a Dream PC" book, and just started reading it. Of course the book will make suggestions and such on which parts to buy; however, I was wondering if anyone here has any tips to learn the tricks of the trade when it comes to researching the best parts and components.

Not only do I want to build my own PC, but I want to do it knowing that I researched and did my homework. Don't get me wrong, I really do appreciate people who recommend which parts to use, I have no problem with that. I just want to know how I can learn which parts are better than others, such as the details.

Not simply "Well this one is faster than the other", more like "Well this one is faster because of X, Y, and Z". I don't know what pipelines are, what is the difference between DDRRAM and another type of RAM, nor the technical differences between an Intel P4 and an Intel Centurio Duo(?).

To sum it up: What can I do to help educate myself in understanding the technical jargon when it comes to PC building? Is there a rather easy way to research PC parts and compare them?

Thank in advance! I would greatly appreciate anything you got say.

Hey, i was like you once, stick with this site, read all the threads, and i mean all and make sure you check out websites like newegg.com and tigerdirect.com and read up about the different parts, if you google pc building, or things like that you can gain some knowledge about the different parts/features of parts. Also if you are looking at something, and don't understand a part, feature, or just want to get some opinions of it, then just come on in and ask us, we'll help

so yeah if you read that, which i hope you did, try to do that, and anything else that people mention, because there are a lot of really knowledgable people here.

and i honestly still dont know the difference between RAM and DDRRAM
lol ;)

Definitely do what sk8n said by sticking around the site and just lurking through the threads. I did just that and probably learned 75% or what I know today about building a PC. That's probably 100 fold from what I knew a year ago. Just read up on things; you want to know what something is, either ask us or just google search the term. Of course the best way to know for sure what something does is to see it yourself and build the computer yourself. It all comes with experience.

Thanks alot guys, I do intend to stay on this forum for a while. I've been looking for a PC community board, seems like I found a good one. :cool:

One of the things that helped me understand what makes certain parts faster and why is reading reviews. I read a lot of reviews on computer parts and you can learn a lot from them.

Back
Top Bottom