Time For my format, quick question

superman22x

Golden Master
Well, its that time for me, I think I should have when I bought the new mobo but W/E. I haave my Hardrive partitioned into 2 drives, vista on one, and game installs and documents on the other. I was just going to format the one vista is installed one, is that ok? Or will I need to reinstall everything on the other drive?

You can format either partition. That's one thing nice about paritioning: you don't have to format the whole drive, speeding up the process at the same time.

I usually have my games installed on the same parition of my OS. The separate parition are mainly personal data files only or storage dump.

You can format either partition. That's one thing nice about paritioning: you don't have to format the whole drive, speeding up the process at the same time.

I usually have my games installed on the same parition of my OS. The separate parition are mainly personal data files only or storage dump.

Thats a good suggestion. I know with my setup I just target My Documents folder into the H: partition that way any media/pic's/video etc goes there. Games and apps stay on the primary OS partition.

The reason why I do that is because a lot of games ties in with the system files. I use to separate them out but the hard drive works harder because it now has to search on multiple paritions. So I just decided to group all of the actual applications on the same OS parition.

I keep all my downloaded files, movies, picts, MP3s, school stuff, etc., on two different paritions. The school files are on a separate paritition because I don't want to risk anything happening to it. Then my media files are on another one (which I made really big). I could have one parition for videos and another parition for just data files too, but I have more videos than anything else so I just grouped them all together.

Oh, that is a good Idea. hmm. Maybe I will do an entire reinstall. This will take awhile, but I will start with just one drive at a time.

Well, I installed vista on the small drive, now I am backing all my stuff up onto that one, and than I will install vista on the big drive, and delete the vista on the small drive, and start reinstalling all my crap. Backing up my my docs is taking awhile. I gotta transfer them from the big partition to the little, and it says 1 day 1 hour remaining... even tho its 1/3 of the way done after 15 minutes, lol.

I put everything on my external drive when I make backups. It's pretty quick, but those movie files are killer!!!! Those can take more than 45 minutes, lol!!!!

Done, and Vista is reinstalled, but I cant delete the one on my small disk, so I have a vista on each partition, both working and all too I think. Says I dont have permission to delete the one, lol. Vista is to secure...
My docs was 30gbs or so. And plenty of movies, lol. Thats why I want an hd-dvd/blu-ray drive. One disk can back the entire thing up.

Back
Top Bottom