Thermal Compound

Locomuy

Baseband Member
Is this really necessary on new computers? I can get it and all, but how often should you change it? How long does it take to put on?

It is necessary on all computers

You should change it each time you seperate the mated surfaces

2 minutes maximum

yes....i recommend artic silver 5 and they have directions on their site...just put a very small (grain of rice size) on the processor and spread it out real thin either with a credit card or just put the heatsink on and let that spread it.

yes....i recommend artic silver 5 and they have directions on their site...just put a very small (grain of rice size) on the processor and spread it out real thin either with a credit card or just put the heatsink on and let that spread it.
Correct for single core cpu's but things have changed with the advent of multicore cpu's

At OP, READ HERE, although it is AS5 specific it is a good guide for most 99% silver based compounds.

Just ensure you get the right instructions for the right TIM/cpu

MX-2 is different to AS5 as is Ceramique, there is no "one method suits all"

The best way is to follow instructions, repeat as necessary until you are satisfied with the result.

Also note: AS5 (and most 99% silver based TIMs) require a "settling in" period of around 200 hours pc usage and several thermal cycles (power down, cool off, cold boot) to gain maximum efficiency. The newer generation of TIM like MX-2 requires no "settling in" period.

The grease never dries up so cleaning it is a cinch. I always use alcohol to clean my CPU and heatsink when I do make changes to the heatsink and fan. Wipe it down real good. Then, don't touch the part you cleaned anymore. Your fingers have grease without you even knowing about it.

Once it is cleaned off, make sure there are no lint or any kind of small stuff around it. Actual application of the Arctic Silver 5 take no more than 5 seconds. A small dab in the middle and that's it. I usually lay the CPU in the socket first before I apply, but whatever works for you. Then just lay that big heatsink on it.

Back
Top Bottom