Is there a way to upgrade my laptops GPU

Haku Mioje

Daemon Poster
ok i have an older model compaq laptop that i have upgraded multiple times with either new CPU, RAM, or just random upgrades... now i was wondering if i would be able to upgrade my graphics or get an external graphics card (is possible)... my laptop is a compaq presario v2000... it came stock with 1gig ram, an amd turion 64 mobile cpu, ati radeon xpress 200m graphics processor...since i bought it i upgraded the cpu to an athlon 3200+ (not mobile) and i upgraded the ram with an extra 512 mb... now im wanting to upgrade the graphics if possible and then ill upgrade to vista

ok i have an older model compaq laptop that i have upgraded multiple times with either new CPU, RAM, or just random upgrades... now i was wondering if i would be able to upgrade my graphics or get an external graphics card (is possible)... my laptop is a compaq presario v2000... it came stock with 1gig ram, an amd turion 64 mobile cpu, ati radeon xpress 200m graphics processor...since i bought it i upgraded the cpu to an athlon 3200+ (not mobile) and i upgraded the ram with an extra 512 mb... now im wanting to upgrade the graphics if possible and then ill upgrade to vista

You have integrated graphics, so it's not upgradable (regardless, most laptops aren't even if they have a dedicated GPU).

I see no reason for you to upgrade to Vista...the only true reason, from my perspective, is for DX10, but that doesn't apply to you.

External solutions are available, but they are EXTREMELY expensive, and not worth it. ASUS has one with a 9600GT and it's like $400....ridiculous. You're going to have to buy a new laptop or a desktop to get more power.

Yeah that pretty much sums it up. Unless you have a powerful system where DX10 is actually a factor, Vista isn't so much an upgrade as it is the same os with a new skin.

Theres a reason those external GPUs never took off.. crazy prices.

Back
Top Bottom