Is there really an Ultimate difference between AMD/Intel?

eslfish

Fully Optimized
Title says it all, I am building a new rig from scratch and my friends tell me to go with Intel because it's better, although on the other hand, AMD is relativley cheaper right? I am going with AMD because I think it's cheaper, but Intel is better, correct? :D

It all depends on what your budget is, whether you overclock and what it is exactly that you do with the system.

Intel and AMD are not even close to each other, its 2 different architecture.
//for example, AMD has integrated memory controller, and many many other differences..

Anyway, if money counts,
read my post here:

http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=38507&page=22

#321 is my post.

There You will find a quite good solution, I think an amsi k9a2 and the black edition 9950, aong with an evga 9800 gtx+ will be more than sufficient as a computer upgrade in the not-that-expensive range..

I did not mention in that article that I actually allready run across msi k9a2, after You buy it I would -just becouse of safety- advise to visit some electronics shop, and ask the shopkeeper if he would install some low profile heatsinks on the power resistors. I don't think they would blow up or something, I just don't like them getting warmer than I like. They can be identifyd easyli, black boxed with R25 sign on them, between the mobo heatsink and the cpu socket. Hard to miss.. I don't think they change too much in value becouse of heat, but I'm a gona get some heatsinks on it for sure. I don't like resistors running warmer than handwarm.

Long story short;
AMD runs hotter but is cheaper.
Intel is more expensive but cooler.

Long story short;
AMD runs hotter but is cheaper.
Intel is more expensive but cooler.

A fictional story.

Both AMD and Intel have processors in the same heat class, and both have processors that run cooler or hotter than a cooperative processor from the other company. It's fairly neck and neck right now.

Historically AMD's have been warmer running than the intel, specifically with the AMD XP days. During the AMD Athlon 64 / late Pentium 4 days, AMD processors ran far far cooler than the Intel counterparts as well as ran faster, and were much cheaper.

Price wise, it's also neck and neck right now. Whatever is the best buy for the money depends on the application and the time, it can shift every few weeks.

Also, right now it appears Intel's architecture is superior, however both AMD and Intel have had major flaws in recent dual or quad core processors (Intel's huge processor security exploit and AMD's virtualisation and timer bug.

well...
keep in mind that mobo for AMD costs less.
and when buying an AMD cpu, You buy a memory controller, since its integrated into the cpu.

So the price of processors shows nothing.
performance / (mobo price+ cpu price) = what You get for Your money.

in my opinion, msi k9a2 or asus m3xxx mobo + the 125 W tdp 9950 phenom is a winner.

Back
Top Bottom