Is there a chance for damage?

FATAL FLAW

Baseband Member
I am going to clean my pins on my processor so I can test it on a new mobo with alcohol but I am worried that my may be busted processor can hurt my new mobo. also what can i do to the ram and video card so that I will not hurt them when I take it out. I do not have an antistatic bag to put them in so what should I do?

Well, it depends on how you clean the processor. If you dip it in alcohol, probably nothing will happen. If you use an alcohol swab, something might happen. And why do you need to clean it? If its been in a mobo its fine.

As for the ram and video card, stick them on a wood table and they will be fine. Just don't let anything touch them.

I put too much thermal compound on my processor so it oozed off on the pins so I cleaned it by dipping a cotton swab and cleaning the pins. I was very careful on not to let anything be left on but I am still worried.

As long as the alcohol is completely dried and the pins were not bent you should have no problem. I wouldn't recommend submerging the processor in alcohol (if I read that correctly.)

As far as the RAM and video card goes, as long as you place it on a non-metal surface and something that is not a big static collector (fiber surfaces such as carpet and bedding) then they should be ok as well. Make sure you do not touch the gold plated pins when you remove the hardware, and that is all you have to worry about. I would recommend that you do not wear socks while you do this work and be sure to touch a metal part of the case when removing a hardware component :)

As long as the alcohol is completely dried and the pins were not bent you should have no problem. I wouldn't recommend submerging the processor in alcohol (if I read that correctly.)

As far as the RAM and video card goes, as long as you place it on a non-metal surface and something that is not a big static collector (fiber surfaces such as carpet and bedding) then they should be ok as well. Make sure you do not touch the gold plated pins when you remove the hardware, and that is all you have to worry about. I would recommend that you do not wear socks while you do this work and be sure to touch a metal part of the case when removing a hardware component :)

neither would i
if i remember correctly i read somewhere that it would not be good to do that to the CPU
.......... hmmm...... let me see

like this
take a look at section 6
http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5_intel_quad_wcap.pdf
thats what it was thinking of

I didn't mean submerging it, I mean sticking it in alcohol that is just deep enough to clean the pins off.

Back
Top Bottom