Temperature Concerns! Help!

Memphis`

In Runtime
Just got a 4400+ in a SilverStone Sugo-E.
Using the stock cooler i get idle temps of around 40 - mid 40's (degrees) and in game (WoW) im getting high 50's. Im really concerned with these temps because its an Athlon 64, if it were a Pentium I wouldnt be too worried but as I've seen people idling at mid 20's with similar set-ups!
I went for AS5 on the HSF and used the blob in the centre method with my HS speading it over the CPU. Is this the best method as i could always try to resit the HS?
Im thinking that the fan doesnt speed up under load, it is constantly at around 2900 rpm, is it meant to be like this?
Is there anything else i can do to get these temps at a reasonable level as i really dont want to have to leave them like this! Maybe getting a Zalman CNPS 7000?

i run a pentium 4 with ht @ 3.8...with a geforce 6800 256 mb video card...and when it gets in the 50's..i just slide the cover off....and i use everest for all my temps.

edit: i have been reading about liquid cooling, although i don't know how good it is.

Well you can try to reseat the heatsink again. Remember you only need a drop the size of about a grain and a half of rice. You best move would be to just get an aftermarket heatsink like Scythe Ninja or a thermaltake XP-120 or something by Zalman cooling. You don't really want your temperatures getting over 50 degrees because 60 degrees is sort of the threshold of AMD cpu's that you definitely dont want to reach. Keeping the temps no where past the mid 40 degree mark under load temps should be where you want to aim for.

Well i cant get a big heatsink because it has to fit in my case, the Sugo, which has the psu directly over the cpu with about a 3cm gap between that and the stock HS.
I'll probably try resitting the stock HS first and if the temps dont change go for a Zalman cooler, probably the CNPS 7000.

Ah i hate when cases are set up like that! But oh well what can you do? Your idea sounds good to me, go with that.

well i have an amd with a zalman 92mm half copper half aluminum fan and i get temps around 40's i idle around high 30s low 40s during gaming anywhere between the 50s to the mid 60s.

Well for the powersupply Im guessing there is a fan right over your processor. If there is I would make sure it is blowing away from your processor, not on it. The 7000 would probably be the best bet because of your space restrictions.

memphis, if you bought a 4400+, it should have come with a heatsink with copper heatpipes and aluminum fins. Care to take a picture so i can verify for you? It should perform just as well as a Thermalright XP-90 (non copper version) Make sure its seated right and use AS5.

EDIT: The fan is probably temperature controlled. If you look around the housing of the fan, there should be a small diode that is the temperature sensor. You can short that out and the fan will run 100%

Buy an aftermarket cooler, or reset the heatsink, making sure there is plenty of thermal paste in there.

Well thermal paste is good, but if you put to much down that it just doesnt work. You only need about a drop the size of a rice grain and then spread it out.

Back
Top Bottom