System Not Powering On

richyboypalm

Beta member
Hello
I hope someone can help me out here, I have a IBM Netvista,

The system was working fine when I went to work but when I got home I found the system would not power on at all, so I took the power supply out and tested it and found it to be working. I also took the processor out and tested that, that was fine too.
So I stripped the system down to just 1 stick of ram, and just the processor (it has on board VGA and audio) but I still had no luck with getting the system on,Ii tried a BIOS reset and nothing...

So I had a crazy idea to short the power supply out (pin 15 and 16 if I remember right) and to see what happens, the power supply fan came on, but nothing else, so I pressed the power button and to my surprise the system jumped into life and booted! I went into the BIOS and set the system to power on after a power cut, and pulled the power cord. But on plugging the system back in, nothing happened, so I shorted the power supply again and pressed the power button, again the system powered on...

Has anyone came across anything like this before?
Or can anyone point me in the right direction ???

Thanks
Richard

From your description it sounds like a bad motherboard. A broken motherboard would cause the computer to not start like it usually does. It seems to me that when you short the power supply you're bypassing the motherboard, thus starting the computer.

Oh great ... I was thinking that myself but was looking for a second opinion,
Thank you for the quick reply ...

Lucky for me I have just found a replacement for only £23 on eBay inc p&p

Thanks again ...
Rich ...

Back
Top Bottom