system.ini file XP

kevvyb

Solid State Member
I have added an entry to system.ini file and XP now detects that as a selective start up. I now want to remove the entry.

How do I do that? I guess this is not a registry edit. I have taken a copy and edited the entry from there but how can I save back so that SP uses it?

I have added an entry to system.ini file and XP now detects that as a selective start up. I now want to remove the entry.

How do I do that? I guess this is not a registry edit. I have taken a copy and edited the entry from there but how can I save back so that SP uses it?

Start | Run | msconfig

Nope that doesn't work as far as I can see. There is no control to delete an entry and right clicking does not appear to work.

Just unticking it still leaves the PC running in other than normal start up mode which is what I am trying to rectify.

Go to C:\WINDOWS

Make sure you can see hidden files, look for sytem.ini in the hidden fliles and right click, then choose open with...notepad.

You should be able to edit it directly.

Wow, it's been a while since I've done anything with System.ini

Hi Russell

Are you sure that it is not possible to edit and save when the file is in use by the opertaing system or is it not a file that is actually in use, only used at startup....?

K

You should be able to go to Start | Run | msconfig

Then click on the System.ini tab and uncheck what you want to disable. Then reboot.

Systemini.jpg

Hi Russell

That's what I tried before I posted. doesn't work.

Two ways I found. The easiest I did not spot until I had sorted it another way. On the selective start up message (if I had read it properly I would have seen it) is to select normal boot then restart. This configures the PC backt o a normal boot, by removing the added entry.

I actually used a system restore point which just required me to reinstall and then uninstall a program which also did it.

Thanks anyway.

Back
Top Bottom