Sync everything between 2 laptop and desktop with timed intervals

Haku Mioje

Daemon Poster
I have a Laptop with windows 7 premium on it and a home build computer with WinXP SP2(soon to have Win7 Ultimate)... As of right now its still running WinXP.. What I am wanting to know is how to sync my laptop and computer together to have the same files, music, and movies on them... I want to know if there is a program that allows me to choose which folders and files i want to be updated and synced and when they are supposed to sync(timed intervals)... if anyone knows how to do this or what program i need please post up tutorials, videos or just links... thanks in advance

I did pretty much the same thing using the xcopy command in a batch file. Type "xcopy /?" in a command prompt to see the list of switches and use the appropriate switches for what you want to do in your batch file. As far as timed intervals are concerned, you can set Scheduler to run the batch file at certain times.

A great free piece of software that does the same thing, but has a GUI interface is called "SyncBack" and will do everything you're asking it to do without needing to run xcopy or a batch file (which is also viable, a friend of mine does what cboucher does too).

You can also set SyncBack to run at certain times, and it even does incremental and other types of backup/sync. It's also 100% free.

yeah i was actually reading something about syncback, where can i get it free at though, the only ones ive been finding are ones that cost money or are only trials

Back
Top Bottom