Stupid Windows!

harrybo

Baseband Member
Heres the thing, Iv got a card reader that i use or at least try to use to copy things to my memory card, When i do, no matter what the file is or how maney times you try it it will either stop before copying anything, or copy few files the say say either of the following.
Cannot copy (filename): The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
Cannot copy (filename): The parameter is incorrect.
Iv tried different USB ports iv uninstalled it completely and then reinstalled drivers ect ect. Its not the card reader its self becuase iv tried it on my dads laptop same drivers same cable and it works fine so its definetly windows not liking it. I can view, delete files and copy them from the card to my comp fine just copying them to the card is impossible! and its not the card either becuase iv tried other card types and it does the same. Iv got an external HDD and it copys files to that with out a problem. any ideas its driving me mad! Thanks

What USB do ya have? Is it 1.1 or 2.0? Are ya USB drivers upto date? Could possibly be ya USB ports not getting enough power from ya PSU aswell.

Yea, Once again Raff is on the ball, Most of the new card readers like to run on USB 2.0 due to the speed required to transfer data correctly. I dont think its a PSU problem due to USB hard drives require more power then a simple card reader. In device manger everything is looking fine in there? Like you im really thinking its software issue. Have you tried copying each file once at a time? who's the marker of the card reader? Check there website.

Yeh its USB 2.0, Iv got the drivers from the CD it came with, there only site is japanese so unless i go on a japanese language course i aint gettin the latest drivers! Im pritty sure its windows becuase i have a number of problems now due to a dojjy installation, E.G. System Restore doesnt work and safemode doesnt.

Try going into safe mode (F8) at startup. Open a command prompt (start > run > cmd)
and then try typing "sfc /scannow" leave the quotes out and put a space after sfc. This is a system file checker and will restore ya system files. It can take a while so ya will need to be patient. Ya will also need ya XP disc to do this. Also while ya in safe mode, scan for viruses and spyware

The amount of times iv reformated is like 5 in the last year, if i have to do it again i will just put my foot through the screen.

Try what i suggested, why are you having to reformat so often? Are you getting constant problems? It might be worth testing ya HDD with the manufacturers diagnostic tools, to make sure its ok

Just me corrupting things when experimenting :p dont worry i have learnt my lesson, anyway iv looked for the latest MotherBoard drivers and theres non for the board but the is says there is for the bios (Fixed winbond W39V040B hardware issue with LPC interface)
Its says internet version 1.80 - your version 1.80 There both the same! :S

Back
Top Bottom