Stupid Card Reader

ssc456

Fully Optimized
Hey Guys,

I have a rather irritating problem with my SD card reader on my laptop.
I've taken some nice pictures on my digital camera and I've plugged the SD card into the laptop, I can view the thumbnails of all of the images without any problems BUT if I try open, copy or do anything with the actual images it's almost like the SD card ejects itself . . . . but it doesn't.

The reason I know it doesn't is if I look in my computer the Removable Drive F (SD Card) is still there, if I remove the SD card all together the F drive disappears from my computer?

What would cause this?

I've tried updating drivers but there are no updates available, I've uninstalled the current drivers and re-installed it. I've disabled it and re-enabled it. I've tried importing the photos outside of Windows Explore, with Lightroom.

I've temporarily disabled my anti virus (Avast) incase that was interfering in some way?

I'm out of ideas?

*Edit - I know it's not the SD card itself as if I plug my digital camera into my laptop through the cable I can read all the photos and transfer them across, and I can access the SD card and photos on an SD card reader on another laptop.

I was thinking that too BK, although when you plug the SD card into your computer, doesn't it give you a pop up window to transfer the pics to the computer without going through your digital camera?

I was thinking that too BK, although when you plug the SD card into your computer, doesn't it give you a pop up window to transfer the pics to the computer without going through your digital camera?

Hey, the SD card does have a lock on it but it wasn't on.

I've tried all methods of trying to get it to work, it does popup with a box saying what would you like to do, if I open to browse it's fine until I try to open or copy a photo then it kind of performs the eject so the files are unreadable, if I try and import the photos the same thing happens?

I'm just using the camera on a cable at the minute or occasionally my HDD dock which has an SD card reader on it, but as per my other thread this is on my laptop so having to plug in an additional cable when I want to access stuff from my SD card is a little frustrating.

By 'eject' do you mean it dismounts automatically? I would think it's some sort of driver issue but if you say you've checked then it must be some software interfering.

Do you use some kind of adapter or multi-memory card hardware?

Only other suggestion is to try copy F:\*.* C:\ via command and see if that works, if so then it's defiantly interfering software.

Does it do this with all cards I wonder? Might not be a bad idea to get another card (they are pretty cheap) and try it. Also, you will probably want to make sure you back up the pictures often as I'd be worried that it could be the card failing.

I'm just using the camera on a cable at the minute or occasionally my HDD dock which has an SD card reader on it, but as per my other thread this is on my laptop so having to plug in an additional cable when I want to access stuff from my SD card is a little frustrating.

Well it would seem that your SD card is being a turd, what i would try if i was you is to put the SD card into a friends computer and transfer all of the pics onto their computer. Then put the SD card into your computer and do a full format on the SD card, then go back and copy the pics from friends computer back onto the SD card, then put the SD card back into your computer and see if it transfers the pics onto your computer.

It may be that your SD card just needed a re-format..

Back
Top Bottom