SSD vs Raided HDD

robertg

Solid State Member
I have not messed with ssd very much because they are still very expensive for a good size drive. I am building a PC and I thought about putting in one 64g SSD and raiding (lvl 0) four 250g Hdd at spindle speed of 7200rpm. That is going to cost around $430 for all the drives or i found a 750g hybrid drive for just $300. I was wondering which would be faster?
A) 64g SSD (OS) and four raid lvl 0 250g HDD ss:7200rpm (data)
B) 750g Hybrid Drive

I not sure which route to take. I know the hybrid would be cheaper but I dont know if it would be over all faster.

Any Input?

Raid Zero? I don't recommend that to anybody. Use Raid 5 for the 4 HDs, and forget about the SSD. Otherwise, if one drive fails, you are screwed. If you are using RAID, then there is no point to having an SSD for the OS.

Can I ask why you want to raid the hard drives? Is this a personal computer or something for work/business. I think a raid setup is over the top for a home user...imo.

Can I ask why you want to raid the hard drives? Is this a personal computer or something for work/business. I think a raid setup is over the top for a home user...imo.

Yeah, I was wondering that too. But given that he knows it's gonna set him back several hundred dollars more, but still wants to procede for performance gains, means that he has good reason. Might I guess gaming?

yea i know about the risk. I am going to back up to an external drive. I am an experimenter and I want the performance. I was thinking of having and ssd for the just the OS so it will run and boot extra fast and then have my data on the raided drives. But i was wondering if raided would be faster than hybrid?

If you are going to have 4 drives, I say again, use RAID 5 setup. If you insist on RAID 0, then just use 2 drives. In any case, if you are going to use a RAID setup, don't bother having a separate HD for your OS. Just store it on the RAID. That being said, make sure you back up your data remotely in case of hard drive failure with RAID 0. It's very risky.

Back
Top Bottom