SSD the Ultimate Upgrade!

Hameister

Daemon Poster
Few will dispute that the very best bang for your buck today is the Solid State Drive. Quantum leaps forward in speed, and reliability over the mechanical HDD.

Until now, they've been rather pricy. However, the price drops in just the past few months have been staggering!

Here's an outstanding SSD, spec'd at 240GB, with both read & write speeds in excess of 500 mb/s on a SATA III port, for only $139.00. A year ago, a drive like this would have cost about $350.00

Similar drives are available these days with 120/128GB capacities for $60.00~$70.00

I can tell you from my own personal experience they make incredible laptop upgrades. A laptop that normally takes 1 minute & 20 seconds to fully boot up, will take about 16 seconds with an SSD. Applications will open in a fraction of a second, and games will load in 1/5 the time it takes on a spinner.

I thought I'd post this sale, if anyone is interested...

Newegg.com - Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD-F240GB3A-BK 2.5" 240GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Attachments

• Desktop_2012_09_14_09_09_09_502.jpg
    Desktop_2012_09_14_09_09_09_502.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 12
I'm a big fan of the ssd as well but as far as I know the ssd is still too new with insufficient data collected to say that it is anymore reliable than an hdd. It would seem to be a given but the stuff I've read says that the ssds in use aren't as reliable as an hdd.

I have 3 computers with ssds (all 120G) with 1 in use as long as 18 months with no issues and plan to continue using ssds in the future.

The main resistance for most people to go with ssd is the cost vs hdd but as the price of ssds goes down that resistance lessens. Once the cost gets closer to the cost of an hdd then the hdd will most likely go the way of the floppy drive.

I agree, once the prices of Solid State Drives, falls withing 20% or so, of mechanical hard drives, spinners will disappear from the market place.

My oldest SSD is an 80GB Intel X25-M, installed first in my desktop about 3 years ago, and then moved to my laptop about a year ago, and still performing as good as new.

Now, I have converted entirely to Solid State Drives, with the exception of two WD 500GB HDDs, that I use for Back-up

I agree the SSD upgrades are freaking unbelievable. I repair laptop hard drives regularly and really theres a reason why I dont see many ssd's.

I agree the SSD upgrades are freaking unbelievable. I repair laptop hard drives regularly and really theres a reason why I dont see many ssd's.

That's interesting, I never heard of anyone taking apart a laptop hard drive to repair. Exactly what kind of repairs do you make?

Also, what do you feel is the reason you don't see many laptop Solid State Drives?

Magnetic partitioning drives can be reset on repair. Also can be reset to original.state with certain industrial machiining techniques. Ssd drives even when dropped dont break as easily.

Afternoon

Last edited by a moderator:
They are better drives and the solid state keep them better intact so I see them come in broken less frequently. They are just better designed. They just last longer compared to the old design.of hard drives.

Afternoon

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom