Spyware Problem

firedude78

Solid State Member
Hi,
I am getting a popup about every 5 seconds, It reads as follows:
Click here to protect your computer from spyware.

Your computer is infected. Windows has detected spyware infection. It is recommended to use special antispyware tools to prevent data loss. Windows will now download and install the most up to date antispyware for you.

When I click on this popup box I get a window wanting me to purchase Advanced Virus Remover for $59.95. I have an up to day version of McAfee Inetnet Security Suite, which includes spyware protection. I ran McAfee, it found some problems, but took care of all of them. I still get this very annoying popup window. I have even been blocked for some websites, like ebay and USPS. I still receive emails and all seems to be working ok, except as mentioned above. I have heard of viruses that just intice you to purchase this spyware. Can anyone help? Thanks.

That is a common application that entices you to purchase and install their software. A great program to get rid of it is Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

Advanced Virus Remover is a rogue security application promoted through the use of Trojans, fake advertisements and online anti-malware scanners. It is advertised as an anti-virus software, but in reality, though, AdvancedVirus Remover is just another scam. The main purpose of the rogue is to scare you into thinking that your computer is seriously infected with malware, spyware and other parasites. Once, this program is installed and active, it will simulate system scan and display many bogus infections that won't be removed until you purchase Advanced Virus Remover.

AdvancedVirusRemover will also display fake security alerts and notifications about various privacy issues. It will state that your computer is unprotected and that certain viruses can damage your confidential data. Here's an example of fake security alert generated by Advanced Virus Remover:

"System warning!
Continue working in unprotected mode is very dangerous. Viruses can damage your confidential data and work on your computer. Click here to protect your computer."

You should ignore such fake notifications and remove Advanced Virus Remover from your computer immediately after the first appearance.

Also, if you dont have any virus protection for you computer, you may want to install AVG, its free and works well: http://free.avg.com/ You can use it after the Malware Bytes that AR posted before, it also gives you real-time protection for preventing future infections.

Hi,
I am getting a popup about every 5 seconds, It reads as follows:
Click here to protect your computer from spyware.

Your computer is infected. Windows has detected spyware infection. It is recommended to use special antispyware tools to prevent data loss. Windows will now download and install the most up to date antispyware for you.

When I click on this popup box I get a window wanting me to purchase Advanced Virus Remover for $59.95. I have an up to day version of McAfee Inetnet Security Suite, which includes spyware protection. I ran McAfee, it found some problems, but took care of all of them. I still get this very annoying popup window. I have even been blocked for some websites, like ebay and USPS. I still receive emails and all seems to be working ok, except as mentioned above. I have heard of viruses that just intice you to purchase this spyware. Can anyone help? Thanks.
I had something like this on my older pc except it was for "Antivirus 2009". I was getting all kinds of popups just like you are describing and when I clicked on them it took me to a download site for this program. I did some research on it when I was trying to get rid of it and found out that the program itself was a virus and that if you had all these popups then you had the virus.

I tried everything under the sun to try and get rid of it and nothing worked. Well, it worked for a few days and then I would just start getting the popups again and the same stuff would happen all over again. I just finally got fed up with it and ended up reinstalling XP. I don't know if you will have to do that or not, but try some programs and do some research on it to see what you have to do to get rid of it.

Thanks for the information. I ran my McAfee virus protection and got rid of the popup window, but now when I turn computer on, I get a big message on desktop that reads as follows:
YOUR SYSTEM IS INFECTED
System has been stopped due to serious malfunction. Spyware activity has been detected

It is recommended to use spyware removal tool to prevent data loss. Do not use the computer before all spyware is removed.

I cannot access any website, so dont think I can run any of the software mentioned. Any suggestions? Thanks again

I too had my beloved HP Mini catch a bit of the "spyware blues" a little while back and it seemed that no one program could completely take care of the problem. After some research, I run the following:

AVG Free (GREAT all around virus prog)
SpyBot Search and Destroy (Again...another GREAT prog...does exactly as titled...lol)
AdAware
Windows Defender
Sygate Personal Firewall (I do my best to make sure nothing gets in or out of my puter without me knowing it)

It's a bit to install (especially on the Mini's mini 16gig SSD) but worth it. Since installing all this (all of which is free!), my problems have gone away. What I would do is go to a buddy's house, download all/some of these to a thumb drive and load them onto the computer that way.

If you can, download Malwarebytes on another computer and burn it to a disc or put it on a USB thumb drive. Then boot into safe mode on the infected comp and install and run it from there.

Thanks again guys. I have a laptop I can download the programs from. I will try that, if that does not work, I will try reinstalling XP or just buy a new computer. ;) Anyway , thanks a lot. Someone here always seems to have a solution to my problem. Take care.

Back
Top Bottom